ID Mouth Rot?

Tplummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is day two of Maracyn treatment in QT. Started out as two white dots on his jaw. Now it's a big white patch. She's still eating and moving around. Also noticed a white dot on fin. I noticed the mouth issue late and had to abort copper ramp up, did water change, then started on Maracyn.

Is this Mouth Fungus \ Rot?

PoorGuy.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

Sorry about this. Maybe be bacterial on the mouth. See if we can get some help. @Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is day two of Maracyn treatment in QT. Started out as two white dots on his jaw. Now it's a big white patch. She's still eating and moving around. Also noticed a white dot on fin. I noticed the mouth issue late and had to abort copper ramp up, did water change, then started on Maracyn.

Is this Mouth Fungus \ Rot?

PoorGuy.jpg
I’m not a big fan of maracyn/erythromycin. It is most effective against gram positive bacteria, and most fish pathogens are gram negative. Be sure to monitor your ammonia as erythromycin can nuke your biofilter.
Good to hear the fish is still feeding, do you think this may have started from an injury?

Jay

OP
OP
Tplummer

Tplummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a big fan of maracyn/erythromycin. It is most effective against gram positive bacteria, and most fish pathogens are gram negative. Be sure to monitor your ammonia as erythromycin can nuke your biofilter.
Good to hear the fish is still feeding, do you think this may have started from an injury?

Jay

Hi Jay,

Not sure if He was injured or not. I'm almost done with the 5 day treatment with maracyn. I haven't seen dramatic improvement here on day 4. I'm going to finish what I started, then try something else.

Should I wait a few days before starting something else?
Any recommendations on what to try next?
How serious is this type of infection?
Will the white scabby area on its mouth look normal after healing?

Appreciate your help
Travis

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

Not sure if He was injured or not. I'm almost done with the 5 day treatment with maracyn. I haven't seen dramatic improvement here on day 4. I'm going to finish what I started, then try something else.

Should I wait a few days before starting something else?
Any recommendations on what to try next?
How serious is this type of infection?
Will the white scabby area on its mouth look normal after healing?

Appreciate your help
Travis
Yes, definitely finish the maracyn, you want to avoid jumping from med to med. Be sure to check your ammonia. This can be serious if/when it impairs feeding. If no improvement by tomorrow I would do a god water change and switch antibiotics. Furan-2 or Kanaplex perhaps.

Jay

OP
OP
Tplummer

Tplummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, definitely finish the maracyn, you want to avoid jumping from med to med. Be sure to check your ammonia. This can be serious if/when it impairs feeding. If no improvement by tomorrow I would do a god water change and switch antibiotics. Furan-2 or Kanaplex perhaps.

Jay
I just purchased the meds you mentioned and found a protocol for dosing the trifecta. I just hope her jaw doesnt fall off. Thanks for your help!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Melafix would also do well in aiding with healing

OP
OP
Tplummer

Tplummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

Jay,

So I finished the 5 day Maracyn treatment. The swelling went down but there was so much damage the poor fish can't eat. She really wants to but I don't think She can close her mouth. Would you

1. Consider putting it out of it's misery.
2. Try the Kanaplex and or furan 2. She's had 2 days off meds (no eating). I have a Flame Wrasse in with her. Does She need to go through additional procedures as well or should I separate them?

She hasn't eaten in 3 days now. Still has energy to try but it's not good. I wish that I would have understood the threat and started on Kanaplex sooner. Just frustrated and feeling bad for the fish. If you have any thoughts on the above I'd appreciate any ideas.

Travis

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay,

So I finished the 5 day Maracyn treatment. The swelling went down but there was so much damage the poor fish can't eat. She really wants to but I don't think She can close her mouth. Would you

1. Consider putting it out of it's misery.
2. Try the Kanaplex and or furan 2. She's had 2 days off meds (no eating). I have a Flame Wrasse in with her. Does She need to go through additional procedures as well or should I separate them?

She hasn't eaten in 3 days now. Still has energy to try but it's not good. I wish that I would have understood the threat and started on Kanaplex sooner. Just frustrated and feeling bad for the fish. If you have any thoughts on the above I'd appreciate any ideas.

Travis

If the flame wrasse doesn’t show symptoms I wouldn’t treat it further. If a fish hasn’t eaten for five days, that’s when I consider euthanasia (large fish excepted). Sorry....

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back