ID of this disease?

blizariondds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I posted previously but didn't have pics. I took new pics today. This is day 4 of the tang being there. He is eating. I am running a 57 W UV on my 192g display, 48sump (RSR 900). It definitely did not look like the normal "ich" white defined spots I saw on day one, and the other fish do not have anything as of yet. Any idea of what this is?

Thanks!

image2 (2).jpeg image0 (5).jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, the pics aren't really clear enough, all I can see are a couple of diffuse white spots. that skin blanching can be a sign of flukes, but can also be a sign of scars where an ich trophont was attached. It is really common for ich to come and go at first, the spots drop off, then some come back over a few days time. Eventually, the spots tend to become more numerous and the infection can become acute.

A big UV sterilizer can help control ich infections, but often, when it reaches the acute phase, they simply can't control it any longer.

Jay

OP
OP
blizariondds

blizariondds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay thanks a ton. I wish I could get a higher quality pic but the spots really are that diffuse in real life. I will keep an eye on everything in the coming days. My maintenance company (who also sell the fish only to their customers) said they were quarantined with copper, but of course I’ll never know exactly what they did. I’m hoping for the best!

I was expecting to see some spots back on her by this time or on the other fish (I had an outbreak in a different tank 2 years ago) but it hasn’t happened yet. It would be great if it stays that way.

I’ve just been feeding healthy frozen food and dipping in Selcon when possible. Is there anything else you’d recommend doing at this point? I do have a QT that’s empty that could soon be available but I thought too many moves in such a short time could be fatally stressful.

OP
OP
blizariondds

blizariondds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello just wanted to do an update.

They are all still eating. The "milky" spots still look like they are there. I have also noticed some appearance of black "dots". None of the other fish show any signs of disease - I'm a little stumped about what it is, it doesn't seem like the normal course of ich, at least in my previous experience. I'm sorry for the low quality, the fish just runs away any time I stick my camera there.

I am in the process of cycling my QT.

If Jay or anyone else has any advice I'd really appreciate it - I held off on QT because it was my gut feeling they would die with that many xfers so fast, but now things seem more stable. Thanks a ton in advance!!

IMG_8991.jpg IMG_8989.jpg IMG_8987.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the black dots in the photos, perhaps you can look up “tang turbellarian” on Google images and see if they match?
From what I can see in the pics, the tang looks pretty good.
Jay

OP
OP
blizariondds

blizariondds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you again Jay, I really appreciate it!! I looked up black ich - it doesn't really seem like that (fortunately!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back