ID on Algae type? New to hobby

Tinfoil_Anemone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I was wondering if anyone could give me an ID on the type of microalgae this is... This shot is a bout as good as I could do but I don't see a tail anywhere and its not linked together like I looked up on cyano but its all over the aquarium, and especially the sand kind of stringy and it will come off in sheets.. Thanks for the help guys

Snap_002.jpg Snap_003.jpg

OP
OP
Tinfoil_Anemone

Tinfoil_Anemone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a cheapie 1000x mag "supposedly" they do not move no they stay put

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I was wondering if anyone could give me an ID on the type of microalgae this is... This shot is a bout as good as I could do but I don't see a tail anywhere and its not linked together like I looked up on cyano but its all over the aquarium, and especially the sand kind of stringy and it will come off in sheets.. Thanks for the help guys

Snap_002.jpg Snap_003.jpg
The oblong cell shape makes me think it could be a diatom.

OP
OP
Tinfoil_Anemone

Tinfoil_Anemone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like them in the cruddy picture but that's after shooken up I guess they kind of come off in a sheet ill have to upload more when I get home

OP
OP
Tinfoil_Anemone

Tinfoil_Anemone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a pic of it in the tank. Is it creating a problem? Is nothing eating it?
So I can take a puc when I get home..... no I wouldn't say it a problem at all as long as it's not a dangerous type? Here is it in a bottle that I shook up some recogregated and some did not in the tank it is hard to see I just turned over gravel or stirred it... wasn't sure if that was right to do... in the aquarium it's really just thin thin layers that come of when you scrape.. I used to have alot more but I did a 5 day blackout and got some more nutrients in there as soon as stringy stuff like this started taking over everywhere

Attachments

• 16507666893367918171584794841813.jpg
    16507666893367918171584794841813.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
Tinfoil_Anemone

Tinfoil_Anemone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about 6 months now.. it's doing well but I just can't really seem to tell the difference between diatoms cyano and dinos really well seems like even the thousands of different variations have some similar traits

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about 6 months now.. it's doing well but I just can't really seem to tell the difference between diatoms cyano and dinos really well seems like even the thousands of different variations have some similar traits
All of them will make an appearance, and all need to run their course. Try to resist the urge to intervene...

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back