ID on this Anemone

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

So I started off on this forum when I first got my tank and now it’s been almost two months. I have a local fish store that has been very helpful and has some of the cleanest tanks I’ve ever seen (in person). This past weekend I was talking with the guy and he sold me this anemone that was labeled as a Green Bubbletip Anemone to start my tank with some corals. As I’ve looked up photos on my own time, it doesn’t seem to look like a green bubbletip. Any idea on what it is if it’s not or maybe it is?
172F3353-17B0-44FD-A0E8-ED3A59E72F52.jpeg
2A688624-E791-4085-9C5C-7B2D3CBF24DB.jpeg

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately he’s facing the back of the tank so no way to get a photo of the foot. I’ve seen it when he was walking around, very smooth like a beige colored balloon. No bumps or anything. He’s about 3 inches in diameter. All the green bubble tips I’ve seen online look to be more bulbous in the center of their tentacles. I could be very wrong though, haha.
The tank was started with CaribSea Life Rock, CaribSea Arag-Alive Sand and a whole bottle of Dr Tim’s running for a month before anything. The anemone was about $20 so not a huge investment if things were to go south but I hope it doesn’t. He finally accepted food today after about 5 days in the tank. Gladiator clown has started to explore him a bit but my mocha clown seems to be lonely without having something to play in like the gladiator.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bubble tip, some lose there bubbles and become long tentacles, if there is white lines near the oral disk this would confirm

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason they would lose their bubble and just become long tentacles?
There is no consensus mine change from bubbly to long tentacle almost daily

Attachments

• E9DFB05D-23BF-42F2-9483-84414A25D907.jpeg
    E9DFB05D-23BF-42F2-9483-84414A25D907.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 45
  • 38C024C1-2C05-4250-A9E1-1D21F1E4CAAD.jpeg
    38C024C1-2C05-4250-A9E1-1D21F1E4CAAD.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 47

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately he’s facing the back of the tank so no way to get a photo of the foot. I’ve seen it when he was walking around, very smooth like a beige colored balloon. No bumps or anything. He’s about 3 inches in diameter. All the green bubble tips I’ve seen online look to be more bulbous in the center of their tentacles. I could be very wrong though, haha.
The tank was started with CaribSea Life Rock, CaribSea Arag-Alive Sand and a whole bottle of Dr Tim’s running for a month before anything. The anemone was about $20 so not a huge investment if things were to go south but I hope it doesn’t. He finally accepted food today after about 5 days in the tank. Gladiator clown has started to explore him a bit but my mocha clown seems to be lonely without having something to play in like the gladiator.
Looks like a BTA to me (but it can be difficult to tell for sure from pictures). That said, this attitude of ‘well it was only $20, so it’s not a big deal if I disregard proper husbandry’ isn’t cool. Always research before you take on animals you have no experience with, and if the general consensus is that a particular animal doesn’t do well in a new tank, the price of the animal shouldn’t be a determining factor in whether or not to disregard the best practice for that animal’s care.

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad for calling it an investment, but you will never learn how to do something right without trial and error. I’ve seen a magnitude of trial and error on this forum alone, and no one is perfect. Along with what we’ll call my measly “$20” I also spent a extra hundred on proper supplies to keep it alive. But having a small tank, things are finicky and things can go wrong. If I didn’t care, I wouldn’t have asked what type of anemone it was so I could do proper husbandry. I do appreciate your enthusiasm and empathy for the creature, as do I. I should not have equated it’s value to be alive to a dollar sign, more of trying to keep myself sane if things were to go the wrong direction.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning tank you have. What type of bubbletip is that? Loooove the colors.
I think it’s a mix of rose / rainbow bubble tips , it’s an addiction lol I have over 10 currently , but I will say I lost a nice rose BTA in the beggining due to my tank just being young parameters were good but the anemone slowly shrank and died I started with dry rock / live sand

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s a mix of rose / rainbow bubble tips , it’s an addiction lol I have over 10 currently , but I will say I lost a nice rose BTA in the beggining due to my tank just being young parameters were good but the anemone slowly shrank and died I started with dry rock / live sand
Oh I’d love one! I don’t think I want to add any more anemones until I know how to care for one for a while. I just feel bad for my mocha clown who just roams the tank while his buddy gets to hang with the anemone. :-(

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it seems that it’s most likely a BTA, I wanted opinions on what to do with my clowns and the one anemone. As I wrote in a previous post on this thread, my gladiator clown seems to be starting to host the one anemone I have. Before this, my gladiator and mocha clown were best friends. Now the gladiator spends most of the day hovering around or in the anemone while the mocha clown is swimming around by himself. Will the mocha become lonely? Does he need something separate to host?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to tell what it is from the pic it could either be bta or ritteri
Since it seems that it’s most likely a BTA, I wanted opinions on what to do with my clowns and the one anemone. As I wrote in a previous post on this thread, my gladiator clown seems to be starting to host the one anemone I have. Before this, my gladiator and mocha clown were best friends. Now the gladiator spends most of the day hovering around or in the anemone while the mocha clown is swimming around by himself. Will the mocha become lonely? Does he need something separate to host?
they will most likely pair up over time, clownfish dont really need a host ever they end up being "hosted" by powerheads or something else

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to tell what it is from the pic it could either be bta or ritteri

they will most likely pair up over time, clownfish dont really need a host ever they end up being "hosted" by powerheads or something else
In time when my tank becomes more mature, would it be wise to add another anemone or something else that would possibly bring it more joy to host or be hosted by?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In time when my tank becomes more mature, would it be wise to add another anemone or something else that would possibly bring it more joy to host or be hosted by?
I wouldnt worry, if it is a BTA it will split into more btas. Most likely the clownfish will pair up overtime and start laying eggs though

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 78 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back