ID on this brown alge ?

tech_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, any idea what this is? It’s brown with bubbles on top. Tank been running for 3 weeks now.
IMG_1043.jpeg IMG_1042.jpeg IMG_1041.jpeg IMG_1044.jpeg

IMG_1045.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, clear your mind and imagine these photos were posted by a stranger. If you were looking at these would you be able to see anything but blue??

Second, a 3 week old tank likely is getting diatoms. You will have 3-6 months of different types of ugly algae to deal with until the tank finally starts to stabilize. Be patient.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scroll down past the nitrogen cycle stuff to "Intermission", and read about the algae cycle :)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Microscope is the only one that will tell you for sure what it is. Doesn't have to be an expensive one.
No need for that since likely no intervention is necessary. Trying to get rid of early algae blooms (aside from possibly manual removal and cuc) is defeating the purpose and will just make the tank mature more slowly.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for that since likely no intervention is necessary. Trying to get rid of early algae blooms (aside from possibly manual removal and cuc) is defeating the purpose and will just make the tank mature more slowly.
Don't get me wrong I am all for algae and the cycle around it, I learned the hard way to stay away from chemicals by inducing a Dino bloom. It's just nice to know what that brown/red/mustard looking thing in your tank is.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me wrong I am all for algae and the cycle around it, I learned the hard way to stay away from chemicals by inducing a Dino bloom. It's just nice to know what that brown/red/mustard looking thing in your tank is.
Ehh... knowing isn't all it's cracked up to be. Looking back, when I started my tank (the first time) I had a pretty big dino problem, but didn't realize it. I thought it was cyano and just kept siphoning it out every few days... after about 4-5 weeks it went away. If I knew then what I know now I probably would have tried a bunch of unnecessary stuff and possibly made things worse.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehh... knowing isn't all it's cracked up to be. Looking back, when I started my tank (the first time) I had a pretty big dino problem, but didn't realize it. I thought it was cyano and just kept siphoning it out every few days... after about 4-5 weeks it went away. If I knew then what I know now I probably would have tried a bunch of unnecessary stuff and possibly made things worse.
I thought it was Cyano...and tried chemiclean to get rid of it. What a mistake. Probably killed all the good stuff rather than the bad. Lesson learned.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was Cyano...and tried chemiclean to get rid of it. What a mistake. Probably killed all the good stuff rather than the bad. Lesson learned.
I mean, in an established tank with lots of coral, an outbreak can do a lot of damage so I totally understand looking at other measure to combat it. But in a brand new tank, letting the different bacteria, archaea, and algae fight it out for a while can sometimes inoculate the tank from an outbreak later on. Certainly if you keep ALL algae out of the tank early on, then later it can go wild, lol.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, in an established tank with lots of coral, an outbreak can do a lot of damage so I totally understand looking at other measure to combat it. But in a brand new tank, letting the different bacteria, archaea, and algae fight it out for a while can sometimes inoculate the tank from an outbreak later on. Certainly if you keep ALL algae out of the tank early on, then later it can go wild, lol.
I really think big pod collection is the difference!!!! Our current tank is just getting over huge phosphate spike, whacked the ecosystem, algae problem, etc. I’m beefing up system w/new pods for live rock, sump and substrate before move to 125g from 100g. Been maintaining saltwater since the 80’s and we never had New Tank Syndrome.
Knock on Wood lol

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 78.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.0%
Back