ID please!

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible for a better closeup picture. It may be a porties or montipora. But that guessing picture is not that clear.

OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I tried, it's a very small piece and that's with the camera right on the glass.. I'll look those up and see if one looks similar though. Thanks!

OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible for a better closeup picture. It may be a porties or montipora. But that guessing picture is not that clear.

Sorry its such a small piece. I have looked all over and cannot find this type anywhere :(

Attachments

• 20131116_184959.jpg
    20131116_184959.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 138
OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea I would guess monti from the pic

Yes, I found some orange monti pictures and they look just like this one, except buch better -.-

I guess I got one losing its color already.. first coral, this is the picture from when I brought it home.. now that I am looking at the pics of orange monti's I hope this one ends up ok :)

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like a montipora capricornis. They can adjust to many light. They are an easy coral. Ss you noted yours a bit faded or bleached. If good water it should color up it its mormal burnt orange color.

OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like a montipora capricornis. They can adjust to many light. They are an easy coral. Ss you noted yours a bit faded or bleached. If good water it should color up it its mormal burnt orange color.

I bought it at the frag swap near me last week, it looked like that on the way home and within an hour it turned white & brown (like a dead color brown). Nothing else in my tank is having any problems, and of the 4 pieces I brought home with me that day, they're all doing great - except for this one. I wanted to know what it was to find out how to help it survive.. It looked great at the swap and not so once I was home. Shame, hopefully it will make it through, its a nice piece once its normal! My water is clean - levels are all on point as well. My LFS says I just got a bad piece from a seller, I took before and after pics and brought them to the LFS, he assured me its not my fault - but I take blame for everything anyway lol.. I hope it survives :)

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monti is hardy. Most are encrusting or plating like the one you have. It could have been a number of factors to cause a decline. How long it was in a bag temperature it was exposed to and acclimation period. As long as it has coloring even brown it still alive and will come back. White means it is dead. Just maybe not at high light more medium until you get it to look better and can tell what kind it is. Not all monti are high light.

OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monti is hardy. Most are encrusting or plating like the one you have. It could have been a number of factors to cause a decline. How long it was in a bag temperature it was exposed to and acclimation period. As long as it has coloring even brown it still alive and will come back. White means it is dead. Just maybe not at high light more medium until you get it to look better and can tell what kind it is. Not all monti are high light.

It was in the bag maybe 20 mins from the swap to my sw bucket. Drip acclimated for a little over an hour. Tested both tank and bucket water and they matched so I stuck him in, somewhat higher up. The dude at the swap said it was used to strong lighting and would be good for a high rock (that's what I told him I was looking for, something for my higher rock). I've moved it almost towards the floor. Not shaded but about 7 inches lower. There's still brown, not all white so that's good to hear that it may be alive! I've been feeding my corals the arcti-pods, I'm thinking of grabbing some oyster feast instead - anything specific to help it get better in your opinion?

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds as though it was not the acclimation. Nor the time in bag. As long it was not too cold or hot. The guy you got it from would know what monti it is. Looks like a monti cap. Which are med to high light. Sps corals unlike lps corals eat very small particles of food. Not even the size of sugar. Almost powder size. For sps corals I use liquid and powder types for sps and filter feeders.

OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of your help, it's still brown and mostly white but it looks like it's getting more color each time I look at it so that's a good sign. Hopefully it'll grow and look great and I'll be posting pics of it in a different thread!

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will slowly regain its color. And will grown fast once established. You will be breaking pieces of it off just to control its size.

Wildexpressions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While quite durable once established many monti's do not like change and react negatively very quickly. I have many monti's (over 20 varieties) and quite a number of them grow very very quickly and yet when I frag them for friends they are often half dead by the time they get them home. If even a small piece of it survives though then it generally re-establishes itself quickly enough.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 177 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back