Coral ID

20260614_183220_32B01D54-4937-4C55-9029-7C3AD4993388.png
 
Looks like acanthastrea to me, possibly bowerbanki.
Acanthastrea has monocentric corallites while this coral has sinuous valleys
(PS. bowerbankis are Homophyllia, same genus as Scolys, not Acanthastrea)
 
Acanthastrea has monocentric corallites while this coral has sinuous valleys
(PS. bowerbankis are Homophyllia, same genus as Scolys, not Acanthastrea)
Thats why I said possibly as one or the other......Ive been doing this a long time and know the difference in genus, thanks
 
Thats why I said possibly as one or the other......Ive been doing this a long time and know the difference in genus, thanks
I see, I had thought you were saying "Acanthstrea to me, possibly bowerbanki" as in 'Acanthastrea, subset of that, bowerbanki' as oppose to 'Acanthastrea or bowerbanki'.
 
Now that I take a closer look actually, it might be an EXTREMELY deformed Dragon's Soul/Prism "Favia" (technically Dipsastraea rosaria or Favites [para]flexuosa depending on the specimen). I've seen specimens kept in aquaria for a long time become increasingly deformed like this.
 
Now that I take a closer look actually, it might be an EXTREMELY deformed Dragon's Soul/Prism "Favia" (technically Dipsastraea rosaria or Favites [para]flexuosa depending on the specimen). I've seen specimens kept in aquaria for a long time become increasingly deformed like this.
Do you think as it grows out I could see more normal patterning from it?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new