ID please..

Alexis Terlep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3300.JPG
New to saltwater aquarium keeping and made the mistake of not investing in a quarantine tank. I noticed a few of these leech looking things on my goby and tried a fresh water dip and the little buggers didn't come off, so I went to my Lfs and bought some prazipro and dosed my 55gallon tank. But within a few days the goby kicked the bucket after refusing to eat and being very lethargic. After that I cleaned everything, the substrate, rinsed rocks, cleaned powerheads, and my filter and replaced its media and did a huge water change. That all occurred last month, a few days ago my clownfish had the same things! And then I noticed they were on some of the rocks in my tank. I don't know what it is, and the prazipro isn't effective enough and they've seem to be taking over my tank.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First welcome to R2R, :).

Second awesome job on the image.

Lastly I moved this thread to the Fish Disease Forum for more eyes on. I am have no idea what parasite that it and I am not surprised the fish unfortunately died, but I am surprised a freshwater bath had no effect.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3300.JPG
New to saltwater aquarium keeping and made the mistake of not investing in a quarantine tank. I noticed a few of these leech looking things on my goby and tried a fresh water dip and the little buggers didn't come off, so I went to my Lfs and bought some prazipro and dosed my 55gallon tank. But within a few days the goby kicked the bucket after refusing to eat and being very lethargic. After that I cleaned everything, the substrate, rinsed rocks, cleaned powerheads, and my filter and replaced its media and did a huge water change. That all occurred last month, a few days ago my clownfish had the same things! And then I noticed they were on some of the rocks in my tank. I don't know what it is, and the prazipro isn't effective enough and they've seem to be taking over my tank.
Wow.. Just wow...

Great job by Bios for identifying the culprit. The only treatment I can find that is supposed to work is a Formalin dip. As far as clearing it from the tank, I have no idea. :( But Bios seems to know what he is talking about and a tank tear down and dry out may be what is needed. Not sure if they will starve themselves out over time if the tank is left fallow or how long that would take.

Welcome to Reef2Reef, just wish it was under a different circumstance!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, apparently both cleaner wrasses and cleaner shrimp will eat these guys and can control the population.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe @bios is correct. Do you know if Dimilin would work to eradicate the eggs on this family of worm?

Also, let's ask @Lionfish Lair for her take on this.

OP
OP
Alexis Terlep

Alexis Terlep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I would have to tear down the tank and dry it out but I have two fish left, and I'd doubt anyone would take them with the possibility of them having these worms. I also took apart my hob filter today and they were in there too. I appreciate the help!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back