I'D Please

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll admit to only skimming through the thread. I just wanted to share my thoughts on your problem.

The mark on the Mag Fox looks like a bit to me. I'm not sure what would have done it that's in your tank, but that's my first thought just looking at it.

As to the ich/velvet issue, there is no reef safe cure (as previously mentioned). If it's ich, you could possibly run an ich management tank and hope they all develop a resistance to it. It's possible to do. If it's velvet (or both) then the fish will need to be removed for treatment. With velvet, most of the fish will likely die very quickly I'm sorry to say. Some will probably survive (maybe one or two) and continue to be carriers of it which will then infect any new fish that are added afterwards (no matter how long you wait). I know that's all bad news really, and I'm terribly sorry for it. You may be better off just hunting craigslist for a larger QT.
X2 this is exactly what I was gearing up to write.

Unfortunately your choices are large losses or proper treatment if velvet. Minute chance (but possible) that your fish become immune to velvet by some sort of stalling medication that keeps it at bay but you're more likely to do damage to your reef and most importantly much more likely to kill almost every new fish you add because they'll be so stressed from collection, transport, and shipping through the distribution system that they are a sitting duck and within days or two weeks at a max they'll all die when added.

Any stress event at all puts your reef in dire risk and you'll have only a day or so to react when it gets serious and flares up. In the long run you're almost guaranteed to lose all fish but perhaps a hardy wrasse and maybe goby.

I know you don't want to hear this... but I agree get a larger quarantine. It's a lot cheaper than losing it all :/

By the way - I've been there and done that - I understand!

OP
OP
terri_ann

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know 4FordFamily ;0) My plan is to get a large QT tank, remove all fish, treat them and allow the 180g to starve out the parasites Then, I will do that again with my 6' raceway and those fish(better safe than sorry) and tank. This will take about 3 months " if " everything goes according to plans.

Thanks everyone!!

OP
OP
terri_ann

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flame angel gone i miss it already but it was really infested bad so no longer suffering. this sucks

OP
OP
terri_ann

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bruce! It's moving along but of course not fast enough for the fish and me. The Metro and Kana is holding them for now. Must hurry!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back