ID please

redeyejedi

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 15, 2019
Messages
353
Reaction score
339
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. Ive just seen this attached to apart of my rock. Never seen it before and i dont have a clue what it could be?? It moves slightly in the flow. Many thanks.
20201210_153207.jpg

20201210_153317.jpg
 
Pics are very blue to tell- please retake under white light
Could be codium or birdsnest but hard to tell
 
Pics are very blue to tell- please retake under white light
Could be codium or birdsnest but hard to tell
If its a coral i would say its a softie as it looks like a similar tissue to a xenia.
20201210_155028.jpg

20201210_155038.jpg
 
Appears to be leather
 
Poriferan sponge is a possibility but this is clean looking
 
It looks like a sponge to me... I have some that branch in the same manner. Can you try to pinch it slightly to see if it's sponge-like or if its firm, like a leather would be?
Ill probably wait until the lights go out to see if it closes up at all first as im sure a sponge wouldnt
 
The funny thing is, i haven't seen it before and i know my tank fairly well as im a bit ocd with it.
I had a tank in the past that had a ton of these growing on the backside of the rock. They would reach out into the light sometimes and get slightly discolored.

I found this image from another forum which looks the same.
229F244D-DC0F-44C0-B72A-C4E491AEE383.jpeg
 
I had a tank in the past that had a ton of these growing on the backside of the rock. They would reach out into the light sometimes and get slightly discolored.

I found this image from another forum which looks the same.
229F244D-DC0F-44C0-B72A-C4E491AEE383.jpeg
Ive had a closer look and it is a sponge because it has little holes as well. I would agree its the same as the pic you posted. Thanks for your help.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new