ID Porites or Monti and placement please?

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I got this sps as a hitchhiker on some liverock nearly 3 months ago, at first I thought it was a encrusting Monti but now wondering if it's Porites lichen? But its growth rate is crazy fast which makes me question if it's a Porites which I understand are notoriously slow?

I want to double check placement, it's in a high flow, low light location on the substrate and appears to have decided to become fully nocturnal only extending is polyps at night. Even turning the lights on to get a photo upsets him....is this a indication of a problem or normal behaviour for some sps?

If it is Porites lichen I read they are from shallow areas on the reef, so should it be moved to higher light level?

Please confirm ID and placement/care pretty please.

IMG_8969.PNG

Coral first day in the tank, note the vermetid and algae around it! Poor thing I thought.

IMG_8985.PNG

It's growth rate overrun the vermetid snails and now covers half the rock.

IMG_8986.PNG

OP
OP
1979fishgeek

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porites, excellent.

Do you think it's ok that it's fully nocturnal? Looks perfectly fuzzy and healthy at night, and closes down completely be day?

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porites, excellent.

Do you think it's ok that it's fully nocturnal? Looks perfectly fuzzy and healthy at night, and closes down completely be day?
Tough to say. Porites are interesting. I have a few that are fuzzy in the day and night and others like my Darth Maul Porites is only fuzzy at night. I have a few others that don't seem to be fuzzy or have any real PE. It may vary due to the parameters, feeding response, lighting, etc....

OP
OP
1979fishgeek

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darth Maul Porites? Sounds interesting! I would love to see some photos of yours.

OP
OP
1979fishgeek

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I do a little update on this Porites. Still growing really well and now strangely completely nocturnal..weird right?
But check out the colour now it's been under a 20k Metal halide for couple of months! Would love a little Porites collection just don't see any for sale! The only other one I have is a yellow branching with grown 2mm in a year!

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_9991.JPG

Back