Playthoa placement

mustseefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone please help me with placement of my palythoas? I’ve heard they overtake whatever they are on. I put them on this rock I have in the front thats kind of touching the main rock fixture, is this a good spot to keep them?

IMG_4286.jpeg image.jpg

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not super invasive. I believe I have the same as the one on the right. If so I fragged it about a month ago for the first time in probably 3-4 months. In low to medium light they grow pretty slow for a soft coral in my opinion. Nothing like Xenia, star polyp, or Kenya Tree.

IMG_3537.jpeg

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The grandis colony on the left sandbed was 8 polyps in February 2021

Then in the dated pics you can see the growth of the 3 paly colonies over time. Last pic I just took now for this post

A2FB8B10-6677-4D5F-9681-C762D3C0EC10.jpeg 9A67D21D-1CFC-4ABD-8389-50456D30A8DF.jpeg

IMO they are not invasive

OP
OP
mustseefish

mustseefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not super invasive. I believe I have the same as the one on the right. If so I fragged it about a month ago for the first time in probably 3-4 months. In low to medium light they grow pretty slow for a soft coral in my opinion. Nothing like Xenia, star polyp, or Kenya Tree.

IMG_3537.jpeg

Weeds of the sea.

Your placement looks good.

Just be careful.

7 months time.
20230214_204111.jpg
20230915_201256.jpg
How toxic are they? When do they release toxins? I’m starting to regret getting them bc of some comments I’m getting

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The toxin is called palytoxin but not all Palythoa produce it. However it is one of the deadliest neurotoxins on earth

“ an intense vasoconstrictor, and is considered to be one of the most poisonous non-protein substances known, second only to maitotoxin in terms of toxicity“

All palythoa should be handled with precautions as a good practice though. Not every individual type has been tested/studied. I know palythoa grandis is one that makes palytoxin. The smaller green ones, I am not sure if

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How toxic are they? When do they release toxins? I’m starting to regret getting them bc of some comments I’m getting
Not all palys have the toxin but the toxin is very toxic. Some say the 2nd most poisonous thing in the world..... but I think that is a total exaggeration. There is however no cure for the poison they just get you things to treat the symptoms and you hopefully get better.

They release toxins when you cut them or damage them. If they're happy and doing just normal things in your tank you are perfectly fine. Just always wear gloves when handling and wash your hands and never touch your eyes. Lots of people have palys and they're fine.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh crap. The just be careful means they can spread.

The toxicity is debatable. I have no dought they have palytoxin.

Don't eat em, and you'll be fine!

One way to determine how toxic a chemical is is to give it to a lab mouse and see what happens. 6 grams of palytoxin would be enough to kill 1 billion mice.

OP
OP
mustseefish

mustseefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin is a real thing.

Just don't tick em off!

They may or may not take over the rock.

100+ heads

14 months:
20240224_185929.jpg
Palytoxin is a real thing.

Just don't tick em off!

They may or may not take over the rock.

100+ heads

14 months:
20240224_185929.jpg
Do you have any inverts that crawl on them? My sea urchin seems to keep going over the frag and knocking it over, I keep having to move it. I do wash my hands thoroughly after each time

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

IMG_3537.jpeg
Lower third of tank best for me under moderate light and water flow and I feed mine mysis shrimp 3x a week

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Look up how many people have died of palytoxin and then compare it to something like how many people are killed by horses. Don’t be dumb and eat them, get them in your eyes/mouth/ears, or open cuts and you will be fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back