ID some stuff from a reef store’s “garbage tank”

derpychicken777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a few oddball corals to set up a tank for a biology classroom, but have no clue on ID.
B8397A93-E0AC-4E87-ACA2-894643CEDA5D.jpeg
F3FBFED9-2A06-49A8-8CD2-823C41D8F37A.jpeg

Lobophora? Plating sponge? I got a huge chunk so cut it into a few pieces and stuffed them in this big dead acro skeleton, I’m not sure if they actually plate or if it’s encrusting. Feels rubbery and maybe slightly slimy.

OP
OP
D

derpychicken777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also got this thing, the closest thing I could find online were “wood polyps” but I thought they were some kind of clove polyp. I can get better pictures of a larger colony if needed as well.
61FB293F-51AF-4E83-B3CF-08A213BCF26D.jpeg

the brown part of it is actually quite hard, with the long stalks feeling much more slimy and soft. I know there’s a small aptasia in there and I’ve gotten rid of it after taking the photo.

Upvote 0

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of hard to tell but first looks like a purple or blue montipora cap without the rubbery slimy part so probably a blue plating sponge and the second some brown clove polyps that have seen better days. And yes, I see the aiptasia. Good riddance lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

derpychicken777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of hard to tell but first looks like a purple or blue montipora cap without the rubbery slimy part so probably a blue plating sponge and the second some brown clove polyps that have seen better days. And yes, I see the aiptasia. Good riddance lol
oh wow, arent those expensive? this was just sitting in the garbage tank next to what looked like a huge lobophora and i got it for like 4 bucks. same with the clove polyps although i'd understand why theyd be in there. Interesting that clove polyps had a hard base, i wasnt aware of that.

Upvote 0

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh wow, arent those expensive? this was just sitting in the garbage tank next to what looked like a huge lobophora and i got it for like 4 bucks. same with the clove polyps although i'd understand why theyd be in there. Interesting that clove polyps had a hard base, i wasnt aware of that.
Never seen one for sale so don't know

Upvote 0

FishPham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First one is probably GSP (green star polyps) since it has a rubbery feel and polyps aren't opened yet, not monti. Monti's would be hard.

Second one looks like xenias

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

derpychicken777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First one is probably GSP (green star polyps) since it has a rubbery feel and polyps aren't opened yet, not monti. Monti's would be hard.

Second one looks like xenias
I have to disagree, this thing literally does not have polyps. Its shiny from various angles and when cutting it open it was basically hollow inside. It has even grown despite never showing polyps.

Second one are clove polyps most likely i was just asking what kind. Never seen xenia with a hard base, and un-retractable stalks.

Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back