Idea: Encore macro algae and reef aquarium duel set up

prosuja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am new to this hobby. I been researching for like 3 months now. Want to really really understand before I jump in. I saw the 20 Nuvo Concept Encore and kinda fell in love with it lol. Was thinking, one side could be a macro algae display side while the other would house my fish (thinking clowns, yasha gobby and shrimp) and coral. Is it possible to pump the water from one side of the tank to the other?

Essentially, the macro algae display tank acts as a filter/refugium that cleans the water. Then the water is going down to the sump in the APS stand to be cleaned by protein skimmer. So whatever waste thats not cleaned by the macro algae is cleaned by the protein skimmer.

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not by design, no, however (and someone can correct me if my fluid mechanics aren't accurate) with minimal modification you could:

A. remove the center baffle in the back allowing water from both sides to mix in the chambers

B. Shorten the center baffle and split the return pump on either side to serve both sides (removing the other pump entirely)

Screenshot_20231012_191322_Edge.jpg

Issues with A:
The water would only briefly mix in the new combined return chamber, not sure if that would be enough to get the full benefits but perhaps it would be (and would likely, technically, be the easiest one to do)

Issues with B:
You would probably need to swap out whichever pump you use as your split return for a larger one as it'll be providing flow for both sides.
Another issue is if one side is blocked at the overflow it may cause an imbalance in water levels (this would need confirmation from someone smarter than me!)

Either way you'll be modifying the baffles in the rear chamber, I'm sure there's some method you could do with plumbing and whatnot but that probably wouldn't be worth it imo

OP
OP
prosuja

prosuja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm... A, is the baffle removeable? I guess I could drill holes in it.

Hmm, am thinking C. I could have water flow from both sides into the sump, then have the sump return the water to the macro algae (MA) side first, then the the fish side. But that negates the function of the MA side as cleaner water would mix with dirtier water. In this case I am simply diluting the nutrients, not really cleaning them.

I guess I could have the pump from the fish side (FS) channel the water to the MA side, then have the MA side channel the water to the sump, then from the sump to the FS side again.

In terms of being worth it, well, thats half the fun! XD lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back