Idea for breeding!

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a system of about 5 tanks totaling about 300 gallons. My idea, as I have a 75 gallon fuge with a ton of free swimming pods was this…. I wanna set up a small, 5-10 gallon, either cylindrical or circular tank and loop it into the system. However, I wanna give it its own dedicated heater and only run water through quick enough to filter and oxygenate it, maybe I’ll even put an air stone in it as well. From there I’m going to take any fry I get from the species I have that can captive breed ( bengai cardinals, dargonets, shrimp, clowns, chalk bass etc) and I’m gonna just throw them in this little tank. I’m gonna culture some pods, rotifers and brine shrimp, as well as phyto, and stock the tank full of this food.
From there I’m just gonna wait and see what survives, sorta like a little makeshift pelagic environment to raise fry. It’ll be much easier for me then setting up fry tanks or anything like that. And because hopefully the tank will only be 5 gal or so, it will be super easy to stock with live food. This will be super hands off and fun! All I gotta do it throw in the fry and live food and see what lives! Anything that gets big enough to pass it’s larval or pelagic stage will be allowed to drop down into my 75 gallon fuge, where they can continue to grow and learn how to hunt in a larger tank!

what does everyone think?

I know it might now work but it was a fun idea and a cheap experiment I am very excited for!

AFDD3459-DEF2-46FD-81EC-67AADE49B5BA.jpeg 0DB74333-2A53-43D0-A070-16DB464E1129.jpeg

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not what I was hoping for when I saw the title...but I guess should have known better given this is a reefing forum!! But then again..reef geeks need dating advice too.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not what I was hoping for when I saw the title...but I guess should have known better given this is a reefing forum!! But then again..reef geeks need dating advice too.
Talk about your fishtank would be my advice. Then if anyone stays around for long enough to listen and care, marry them. Jokes aside, i thought this was a cool idea and im excited to try it and share the results!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back