Idea for custom Nano build

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an idea in my head last night.... I hate it when insomnia sets in.

I'm looking for opinions on what I'm up to as a proof of concept.

I can get these tables for $40.00 each.

1581541769229.png

1581541802093.png

I have a couple of really cool 2 quart glass pitchers. I paid $7.00 each for them.

1581541994410.png

My plan is to drill for a 1" bulkhead in the bottom of the pitcher, and somehow figure out how to put a smaller 5/8" inside the 1" and build a small aquascape (very narrow) to the top of the pitcher, where I will make that my skimmer wier. and the larger diameter will be the return and push out of the bottom of the structure to keep the bottom of the pitcher clear of detritus. I'll make the structure out of foam insulation and cover it with cement, leaving little shelves for some frags to perch upon.

Now, I plan on making the table top lift upward and to the side on some bell cranks, to reveal a custom made sump. I figure I'll have at least 10-15 gallons of total water volume, even though two clowns will live in two quart pitcher (Again, this is proof of concept, and I will gladly use bigger pitchers if this works as I plan). Then place an antique desk lamp with some replacement LED's over the top of the pitcher.

I believe I can hide everything inside the existing drawer space to do what I need to keep the inhabitants healthy.

What'da ya think?

dankaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think, if you build it, you'd better post some photos so we can see it!

...most unusual build I've ever heard of...

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think, if you build it, you'd better post some photos so we can see it!

...most unusual build I've ever heard of...
Well, I didn't get the tables, so it's kinda sidelined for a bit. I am working on a 5 gal. half hex as a proof of concept at this point. My goal is to have never have to do a water change. Only add essential elements as necessary and top off water.

dankaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A very good friend has a 2.5g nano tank... he does the opposite, namely, he does water changes and does not add anything else. It's a softie tank with a couple LPS... it's only a few months old but doing great.

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea, just wouldn't put any fishes in them.
Why not? I'm thinking that a pair of clowns would do well there, since they seem to be rather territorial. I wouldn't put a tang in there, but clowns (for ease of care) or maybe a mandarin (with the increased food source issues) would also work.

Again, this idea is sidelined right now, and I have no idea when I'll pick it back up again, as I will only try this when a suitable table comes before me, at the right price.

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A very good friend has a 2.5g nano tank... he does the opposite, namely, he does water changes and does not add anything else. It's a softie tank with a couple LPS... it's only a few months old but doing great.
Well, I think part of this hobby is to demonstrate a level of skill in being able to manipulate nature. Anyone can put a fish in a bowl and constantly change water. My idea is to further the hobby's technology to push on the edges of what can be achieved, and the whole concept of nano IS the most difficult aspect of the hobby.

With the success I've had with understanding why/how a extremely deep sand bed benefits by completely stabilizing PH, increasing DKh to 12, as well as nitrate mitigation.... It's quite simple to create a extremely small environment that will maintain life.

Think of this idea in the terms of the compactness of a cell phone, compared to the size of a desktop computer.

This is how things are discovered, by trying them.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not? I'm thinking that a pair of clowns would do well there, since they seem to be rather territorial. I wouldn't put a tang in there, but clowns (for ease of care) or maybe a mandarin (with the increased food source issues) would also work.

Again, this idea is sidelined right now, and I have no idea when I'll pick it back up again, as I will only try this when a suitable table comes before me, at the right price.

My 2¢

Although clowns can tolerate smaller tanks placing them in half gallon container long term is just cruel. It's just as bad as a goldfish in a bowl. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. And mandarin gobby would be even worse. They require tons of copepods and the rockwork to forage on.

A point can be made that our aquariums are 50% decoration and 50% habitats for the animals we keep where we do our best to give them a normal happy life while in confinement . This build is leaning far too much to one of those sides. A clown in half a gallon, we need a clown police.

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2¢

Although clowns can tolerate smaller tanks placing them in half gallon container long term is just cruel. It's just as bad as a goldfish in a bowl. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. And mandarin gobby would be even worse. They require tons of copepods and the rockwork to forage on.

A point can be made that our aquariums are 50% decoration and 50% habitats for the animals we keep where we do our best to give them a normal happy life while in confinement . This build is leaning far too much to one of those sides. A clown in half a gallon, we need a clown police.
It's just a fish.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The volume of water below is irrelevant, you could have that vase plumbed into 1000 gallon tank and it won't change the fact that after plumbing and decorations are added to the vase, the fish is left with an extremely small room to swim.

Not only can this cause it stress but it can affect its growth and health, I remember a paper stating among a few others spinal deformity and intestinal deformations . Think of the display cases at pet shops, those 8x8x8in display containers used to house the fish. In these the fishes don't have enough room to exhibit any natural behaviors such as unobstructed swimming, hunting, exploring, hiding, foraging. These boxes much like your vase dont provide even the minimum space requirement for such things. Think of how differently a beta swims in a 10gallon tank as opposed to in one of those little cups at the store. Not only do they color up but you can finally see their natural swimming behaviors, exploring and extending their fins as they naturally would. Which brings me back to just because we can doesn't mean we should. We can keep a person alive in a small closet provided food and water but it doesn't mean we should.

It's just a fish.

Your view on animals as decorations and expendable I'm sure I cannot change. Fishes have memories and personalities, wants and needs. Upon purchase we become responsible for all of those.

Onto the mandarin, these fish require alot of rockwork for foraging, hiding and simply for swimming.

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The volume of water below is irrelevant, you could have that vase plumbed into 1000 gallon tank and it won't change the fact that after plumbing and decorations are added to the vase, the fish is left with an extremely small room to swim.

Not only can this cause it stress but it can affect its growth and health, I remember a paper stating among a few others spinal deformity and intestinal deformations . Think of the display cases at pet shops, those 8x8x8in display containers used to house the fish. In these the fishes don't have enough room to exhibit any natural behaviors such as unobstructed swimming, hunting, exploring, hiding, foraging. These boxes much like your vase dont provide even the minimum space requirement for such things. Think of how differently a beta swims in a 10gallon tank as opposed to in one of those little cups at the store. Not only do they color up but you can finally see their natural swimming behaviors, exploring and extending their fins as they naturally would. Which brings me back to just because we can doesn't mean we should. We can keep a person alive in a small closet provided food and water but it doesn't mean we should.

Your view on animals as decorations and expendable I'm sure I cannot change. Fishes have memories and personalities, wants and needs. Upon purchase we become responsible for all of those.

Onto the mandarin, these fish require alot of rockwork for foraging, hiding and simply for swimming.
We test on animals all the time. No one said that I would be keeping them in there for the duration of their lifetime, If you noticed, I also said that I'd be open to a larger container also, once proof of concept was completed.

I'm really dismayed about the care one puts into a fish, which in many cases is food for bigger fish, and yet we as a society have allowed 40 million human lives to be murdered in the womb and we don't seem to mind that one bit.

I get it, but let's get some perspective here and don't assume that I'm some horrible monster.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If X then Y.....

I won't comment on everything else as I want to keep it on track and about the fish only. I'm only pointing out the facts about what you are trying to do and the negative consequences inherent.

The deformations in the intestines and spinal cords were not from long term lack of space they were from juvenile fish who spent periods of time in confined spaces. Even if rehomed to bigger tanks later these mutations stayed with the fish and contributed to a shorter life span, clown fish in particular have very long life spans.

I would not recommend putting any fish in a cramped vase. Maybe a 5 gallon glass tea jug would work better for your application while retaining that old school look.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back