Ideal dosing/peristaltic pump for mysis?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have success dosing mysis via dosing/peristaltic pump?

My Reef Factory pump uses 2mm ID tubing, and that became clogged enough for me to remove the mysis from my feeding mix.

DOS pumps use 3.3mm ID. Would that work? Still, not a fan of spending $100s to pump mysis. Any other pumps that would work (and cost less)?

Main problem seems to be flow rate. Looked at Kamoer larger tibing pumps, but they have high flow rates, so unlikely I can rig them up to pump 1/3rd mL of RN Mysis Feast at a time.

Ideas?

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DOS tubing would be better - but how long is the tube run and are you flushing it with RO immediately afterwards?
Works like this:
PXL_20230420_001519957.jpg

PXL_20230510_181930235.jpg

T barb set only a few inches along the tubing for the food (third head). Pumps about 2 inches of food up the tube past the t barb. Second head (middle) pumps RODI through the T barb 1 min after food pump to push the food up to the tank and flush the tube. Food never sits at room temp.

Thinking another double head pump to do the same with larger tubing to get mysis into the tank.

But, the 4mm ID tubing I see on some kamoer heads goes with high flow pumps (100+ ml per min), so that won't work for pumping 0.3mLs at a time...

Might have to try DOS. Just leery about the $$$ for pumping mysis.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the RN Mysis Feast stay in suspension or does it need to be mixed/stirred?
It stays in suspension. I tested mixing it with other RN liquid foods. If it goes in with ROE, pods etc, it stays in suspension well. If you add less viscous foods like oyster feast or phyto feast, you have to be careful about how much to add or the solution becomes too thin.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about pushing the food with something like this:

They are intended to be air powered, but I suspect you could push the plunger with RODI from a dosing pump to control the output. This kinda setup would not require the food to go through the pump.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With how you have it configured, does it only flush the blue portion of tubing after the T?
Correct. The third pump doesn't wheel backwards, so it keeps the food in the green tube from going backwards. Blue tube gets flushed with 15mL of RODI 1 min after pumping 0.6mL of food into the blue tube.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. The third pump doesn't wheel backwards, so it keeps the food in the green tube from going backwards. Blue tube gets flushed with 15mL of RODI 1 min after pumping 0.6mL of food into the blue tube.
Does the green tube need periodic cleaning and flushing as well?

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one of the dosers linked below, I did have to wire it myself. It was the only thing that would reliable pull through PE Mysis. I just mix PE mysis with RO water and the dosing vessel sits on a stir plate in my mini fridge. I messed around with some arduino control but its very funky with a 24V pump. Right now I have the stir plate and doser connected to my apex. I can use the feed mode on the apex and I have it set by code to only run for 3 seconds. I do have some food that ends up being kept at room temperature in the line, I stablize the mysis with a couple things (citric acid and one other im forgetting) and it seems to be fine.

Kamoer KPHM400​

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back