Ideal setting for a mixed reef with Radion XR15 PRO GEN5

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states. I’ve been trying to find the best settings for the for a mixed reef using a single XR15 Pro G5.

As of right now I’m running 100% blues with White, warm white, red and green all at 3%.
My tank is a Red Sea 170 which is a 24x24x24 cube.

I also use ReefBrite LEDs to help with some of the shadowing and push more par.

My gut is telling me to use more white light but I hate they way it looks to my eyes. Maybe I can somehow put brighter whites while I’m at work from let’s says 12-4pm?

my point intensity is 100% and schedule is set to 80%..

Help!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...not going to get into all the technical stuff with PAR and spectrum because that's beyond my competence and quite frankly interest. Just want good looking corals and an easy lighting schedule.

I tried a few things before finding this and it's worked wonderfully well in my mixed (although predominately soft/lps). Also a RSR170.

From my build thread:
Changed lighting schedule for my Radion G4 Jake Adams Lighting Profile Article. Overall very happy, but I'm probably going to shorten the time up an hour or two. I've been manually shutting off at 6 pm and corals are fine with it. The full time causes algae issues for me. But love the color.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...not going to get into all the technical stuff with PAR and spectrum because that's beyond my competence and quite frankly interest. Just want good looking corals and an easy lighting schedule.

I tried a few things before finding this and it's worked wonderfully well in my mixed (although predominately soft/lps). Also a RSR170.

From my build thread:
Changed lighting schedule for my Radion G4 Jake Adams Lighting Profile Article. Overall very happy, but I'm probably going to shorten the time up an hour or two. I've been manually shutting off at 6 pm and corals are fine with it. The full time causes algae issues for me. But love the color.
Im more of SPS kinda guy... not sure if that profile could help.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn't a softie/lps specific profile. Plus I don't treat my softies/lps any different from when I had some SPS (lost during dino battle). They can take more light and flow than people think.

Side note: You may want to look into supplement lighting. While some can be successful with an XR-15 on this tank, for high lighting needs it's going to struggle a bit. I was considering either some supplemental T5 or maybe the Reefbrite LEDs if I went beyond the lower light SPS. Good luck!

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn't a softie/lps specific profile. Plus I don't treat my softies/lps any different from when I had some SPS (lost during dino battle). They can take more light and flow than people think.

Side note: You may want to look into supplement lighting. While some can be successful with an XR-15 on this tank, for high lighting needs it's going to struggle a bit. I was considering either some supplemental T5 or maybe the Reefbrite LEDs if I went beyond the lower light SPS. Good luck!
Im using reefbrite LED. It’s attached to the RMS mount

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump...

I have a WB Reef 100.3 (36x24x20 I think). It’s been up for almost a full year and it’s my first venture into the saltwater side of the hobby. I’ve ordered a few stag sticks to try my hand at SPS again (tried before but it was waaaay too early to expect much and that was proven true, they died after about 2months). Now I have a ton of LPS and zoas, all doing well. I’m running my two G5 XR15 Pro’s 8in above surface with the Ecotech light diffusers installed. They are set to the AB+ template from 9AM to 7PM ramping from 75% point intensity to 100% point intensity at 2:00 - then back down from 100 to 65 from to 2:00 to 7:00. The overall schedule intensity is 50%. With these settings at peak (2:00 PM) I’ve measured (via Seneye PAR meter) around 330 par at the top of my rocks and around 200 par on sanded in center. Not sure if this helps as it’s no proven method, but I have coralline growing like crazy and the LPS in lower parts of tank all seem to be doing great and growing. My stags will be delivered next Wednesday from @TSA Corals and I hope the tank is matured enough that they’ll make it.

I’m very interested in other’s comments on these lights, especially folks who have proven success - what are they doing?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using reefbrite LED. It’s attached to the RMS mount
You do?!? Great...if you'll allow a couple quick questions - because data here a bit limited.

Does the reefbrite over power the XR-15? I like blue to certain degree but was wondering if XR-15 can overcome a solid blue reefbrite for that for a nice blue but with some white (warm spectrum) as I like to view.

I use the diffuser on the XR-15, are the reefbrites excessively disctracting visually compared to that? I expect a little as I'm hanging more lights and know this is very subjective, but in your opinion.

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump...

I have a WB Reef 100.3 (36x24x20 I think). It’s been up for almost a full year and it’s my first venture into the saltwater side of the hobby. I’ve ordered a few stag sticks to try my hand at SPS again (tried before but it was waaaay too early to expect much and that was proven true, they died after about 2months). Now I have a ton of LPS and zoas, all doing well. I’m running my two G5 XR15 Pro’s 8in above surface with the Ecotech light diffusers installed. They are set to the AB+ template from 9AM to 7PM ramping from 75% point intensity to 100% point intensity at 2:00 - then back down from 100 to 65 from to 2:00 to 7:00. The overall schedule intensity is 50%. With these settings at peak (2:00 PM) I’ve measured (via Seneye PAR meter) around 330 par at the top of my rocks and around 200 par on sanded in center. Not sure if this helps as it’s no proven method, but I have coralline growing like crazy and the LPS in lower parts of tank all seem to be doing great and growing. My stags will be delivered next Wednesday from @TSA Corals and I hope the tank is matured enough that they’ll make it.

I’m very interested in other’s comments on these lights, especially folks who have proven success - what are they doing?
Hi, during your main photoperiod when the point is at 100% and your schedule is at 50% what is the intensity at that point when you hover over it? Thanks!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back