Ideal water before mixing salt.

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about ideal water before I mix salt, should I get a reverse osmosis system if i have a UV sterilizer, water softener and iron remover already installed with my well water. also what parameters am i looking for in fresh water before I mix salt? thank you.

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For as cheap as they are in the long run, I strongly suggest an RO Unit, possibly DI as well. The TDS meter is fairly cheap.

Here is an article on RO Water for Aquariums.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d highly recommend a RODI system. In addition to what the article said provided by @ReefStable, think of RODI water as a blank slate with nothing in the water. Then when you add your chosen salt mix you end up with saltwater that is exactly what you expect it to be.

Its not a very expensive investment given the importance of your water and what you will be putting into your tank.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest benefit of RO/DI (combined) is reducing the Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) down to zero(0). That makes pH buffering and other parameters much easier to manage. The more "contaminants" in your source water, the more chemical additives required to obtain suitable parameters. It becomes a vicious cycle.

If your incoming water is well-filtered and "pre-conditioned", you may be able to modify a 3-stage RO/DI using a Carbon Block filter in the first canister, then to the RO Membrane, finally out through a DI cartridge/canister.

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d highly recommend a RODI system. In addition to what the article said provided by @ReefStable, think of RODI water as a blank slate with nothing in the water. Then when you add your chosen salt mix you end up with saltwater that is exactly what you expect it to be.

Its not a very expensive investment given the importance of your water and what you will be putting into your tank.
The biggest benefit of RO/DI (combined) is reducing the Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) down to zero(0). That makes pH buffering and other parameters much easier to manage. The more "contaminants" in your source water, the more chemical additives required to obtain suitable parameters. It becomes a vicious cycle.

If your incoming water is well-filtered and "pre-conditioned", you may be able to modify a 3-stage RO/DI using a Carbon Block filter in the first canister, then to the RO Membrane, finally out through a DI cartridge/canister.
For as cheap as they are in the long run, I strongly suggest an RO Unit, possibly DI as well. The TDS meter is fairly cheap.

Here is an article on RO Water for Aquariums.
Perfect, gonna go with the RODI system thanks guys.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back