OP
hiClouds

hiClouds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You gotta start somewhere. And about the Reef Roids, I have some but will not use it because someone here mentioned that their clam had a bad reaction to it. I can't remember if he tried spot feeding or maybe the clam closed up to consume the food. Anyway just in case you get a clam someday do not spot feed them.
I don't think I could get a clam cuz I've only got a 20 gal but ill keep that in mind for the future. Never know what tanks ill have in the future.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I could get a clam cuz I've only got a 20 gal but ill keep that in mind for the future. Never know what tanks ill have in the future.
I think you can have a clam in a 20 once it is mature and stable with the proper light.

MrFus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You gotta start somewhere. And about the Reef Roids, I have some but will not use it because someone here mentioned that their clam had a bad reaction to it. I can't remember if he tried spot feeding or maybe the clam closed up to consume the food. Anyway just in case you get a clam someday do not spot feed them.
I tried Reef Roids on my new tank and it just skyrocket my NO3 and PO4 levels so bad... it transformed my almost done ugly stage to a horrendous stage!

OP
OP
hiClouds

hiClouds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Reef Roids on my new tank and it just skyrocket my NO3 and PO4 levels so bad... it transformed my almost done ugly stage to a horrendous stage!
How often were you feeding? Personally, I only feed twice a week.

MrFus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often were you feeding? Personally, I only feed twice a week.
I tried once a week, my ugly stage was almost done (a few spots here and there of brown crap on the sand and rocks) and been to impatient I try it... It was a big mistake on my really immature tank with such a small bio-load to process the nutrients, it fueled a boom of green algae that started growing on the zoa frags, rocks, sand and glass so I moved from brown crap to green crap!

I'm still working to get all fixed and learned my lessons... Got my water changes and testing on a real tight schedule (Wednesday test for NO3 and PO4, and Thursday without excuse I do a 10% change), got some snails to help with the cleaning and I'm taking baby steps when it comes to add supplements. Literally I'm dossing 4 drops of AB+ on Mondays and tracking NO3 and PO4 levels to avoid entering to the 0 Nitrate 0 phosphate land and bringing back the new tank syndrome!! (plus I improved my lighting moving away from the AI prime and all the fancy adjustable settings and stepping semi-old school with an array of Lumi lite Pro led strips)

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would recommend spot feeding Reef Roids over broadcast feeding. If you do it right, less food gets into the water because most of it lands directly on the zoa. Here is a quick video of my spot feeding to show you what I mean.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't they get really big?
They grow so slow it will take years for a 2" clam to outgrow a 20. I think they grow about one inch per year. Anyway it is hard to keep a clam alive when they are small especially a reef that is less than a year old, I found the bigger they are when you get them their chances of survival are greater.

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my corals twice a week, but keep it light; less negative consequences, as opposed to heavy feeding (as previously mentioned in this post)

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my corals twice a week, but keep it light; less negative consequences, as opposed to heavy feeding (as previously mentioned in this post)
You can feed heavy. Like they say, heavy in heavy out. As long as you have good export methods you can feed heavy. Check out my photos on #15.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would recommend spot feeding Reef Roids over broadcast feeding. If you do it right, less food gets into the water because most of it lands directly on the zoa. Here is a quick video of my spot feeding to show you what I mean.

I never spot feed, just broadcast a wide variety of foods. Daily. My pics on #15 shows my corals broadcast feed only. I don't want corals that need to be feed directly.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't have a steady hand anymore so I can't do that as well as you. I am sure the corals do benefit from extra feeding like this, but not needed in my opinion.

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank of zoa frags and I'm going to be buying additives to help them grow. Im currently dosing reef roids and I plan on using Koral Color and AB+. How does that sound? Am I leaving out anything important?
We have a zoa garden hosting 2 clowns in a waterbox 10. Feed the clowns,, 5 g water change every 2 months. They are easy corals.

OP
OP
hiClouds

hiClouds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a zoa garden hosting 2 clowns in a waterbox 10. Feed the clowns,, 5 g water change every 2 months. They are easy corals.
The zoas are growing well. Little polyps form weekly and it is really exciting but now that my tank is stable and I know I'm doing things right I'm ready to explore additives. After I've got that down ill consider adding some gorgonians or lps corals. Now I'm thinking maybe a clam. Again, with time.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoas are growing well. Little polyps form weekly and it is really exciting but now that my tank is stable and I know I'm doing things right I'm ready to explore additives. After I've got that down ill consider adding some gorgonians or lps corals. Now I'm thinking maybe a clam. Again, with time.
I would recommend a Squamosa. The one I have has survived longer than my others. Don't spot feed clams. Plenty of daily dosing of phyto and zooplankton. Lots of light is the most important, they get most of their nutrients from good lighting.

OP
OP
hiClouds

hiClouds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just discovered that my hermit is sharing its shell.

Attachments

• Snapchat-997877011.mp4
    20.6 MB

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back