Ideas for final fish in system?

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120g /40 sump. Mixed reef set up. Softies, lps and a few sps. Inverts and some fish. Lots of live rock....
I would like to get some fish that will fill out the tank a little bit and add some color. Must be reef safe and non aggressive but able to handle themselves in case the tang or the wrasse get a little feisty at first.

List of fish follows:
2 Clown fish
1 lawnmower blennie
1 melanurus wrasse (which may be finding a new home because he likes to eat my snails and hermits}
1 desjardini tang
1 fire fish that has mysteriously gone missing in the last week? So I may or may not have him still?

I have been thinking about some anthias, but have read so many hardluck stories about them I hesitate to pull the trigger. But that size and those colors are what I am thinking.....
I would possibly like a schooling type fish that I could add all at one time, and that could be housed in a 20 or 30 gallon QT comfortably during quarantine. So nothing crazy big. Price should also be a factor, so no $250/fish please! Haha!

Please post pics of your fish or of the types you recommend if you can so I have a visual reference. Thanks! Here is a pic of my tank so you get an idea of the space I have available.

20170317_233642.jpg

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
omg ^_^ the Desjardini is my fav... so wish I had the space for one... my LFS had one for months haha every weekend I was going in to check it out :p

In my book that fish is the only one you need haha. I'm a bit weird... I have my tank setup with the intent to only have 2 clownfish live in it :D

also beautiful tank :) I can't wait till my frags grow out

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
omg ^_^ the Desjardini is my fav... so wish I had the space for one... my LFS had one for months haha every weekend I was going in to check it out [emoji14]

In my book that fish is the only one you need haha. I'm a bit weird... I have my tank setup with the intent to only have 2 clownfish live in it :D

also beautiful tank :) I can't wait till my frags grow out
Thanks! Yeah, the desjardini is deff my centerpiece fish! I've always wanted one and got really lucky with this one. He's a pig and eats everything now and has great colors! I have plans to build a larger system in the next couple years, so it should be fine in the 120 until then.
And kudos to your LFS for keeping one for such an extended time. They are sometimes very finicky and take patience to get them to eat regularly from what I've read and experienced.

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yeah, the desjardini is deff my centerpiece fish! I've always wanted one and got really lucky with this one. He's a pig and eats everything now and has great colors! I have plans to build a larger system in the next couple years, so it should be fine in the 120 until then.
And kudos to your LFS for keeping one for such an extended time. They are sometimes very finicky and take patience to get them to eat regularly from what I've read and experienced.

Yeah my LFS is kind of the little odd ball out in this small town so not many people have 100g+ tanks to have large fish or $300 corals. The owner I think just likes them so they had 10 75g tanks setup with frags and large fish along with prolly 50 small tanks housing fish for the average person. They have a main display that's I believe a 150g that houses all the corals in it which for the most part are just lil cheap frags with a couple crown pieces for show that are not for sale haha

They had a porcupine puffer for awhile and man would I love to have one. Theyre so adorable and happy haha but they also have a box fish that I would love to have :D

I'd call him freckles
box_fish_by_gremlinztattoo-d4bmvox.jpg

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not exactly what you're looking for, but a snowflake eel would be really cool :)

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my LFS is kind of the little odd ball out in this small town so not many people have 100g+ tanks to have large fish or $300 corals. The owner I think just likes them so they had 10 75g tanks setup with frags and large fish along with prolly 50 small tanks housing fish for the average person. They have a main display that's I believe a 150g that houses all the corals in it which for the most part are just lil cheap frags with a couple crown pieces for show that are not for sale haha

They had a porcupine puffer for awhile and man would I love to have one. Theyre so adorable and happy haha but they also have a box fish that I would love to have :D

I'd call him freckles
box_fish_by_gremlinztattoo-d4bmvox.jpg
If it werent so sketchy I would def have a puffer or boxfish! I had a freshwater system years ago with a figure eight puffer and he had such a personality for a fish. It was crazy!

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not exactly what you're looking for, but a snowflake eel would be really cool :)
Yep! A snowflake or any eel would be awesome! I have thought about it, but will wait until i build my 220 system and my fish have gained a little size. You know, just in case! Haha! A ribbon eel would be soooooooo sweeeeeeet! Or a Japanese dragon Eel if money were no object!!!!

Mjp83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I too have a mixed reef 120, but in a six foot length. I also have the desjardini (sail fin) tang, 2 nice sized clowns, a flame angel, Bangai Cardinal, Royal gama, and a fire shrimp. I also wanted some schooling fish, and bought 3 Chromies, which were gone in a few days. Then I added the small dark blue damsels (sapphire), and they are doing well, and really give a splash of color as well.
But to be honest, I really wanted the anthias myself!

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I too have a mixed reef 120, but in a six foot length. I also have the desjardini (sail fin) tang, 2 nice sized clowns, a flame angel, Bangai Cardinal, Royal gama, and a fire shrimp. I also wanted some schooling fish, and bought 3 Chromies, which were gone in a few days. Then I added the small dark blue damsels (sapphire), and they are doing well, and really give a splash of color as well.
But to be honest, I really wanted the anthias myself!
I had some bangai cardinals and some blue green chromis in my previous set up, but when I moved to the bigger system I thought it would be a good idea to remove them then since it was impossible to catch them otherwise. I still regret that decision! They were all a few years old and well established....
I have thought about adding a Flame Angel as well. How do you find yours as being reef safe? I assume its doing well.
Any pics of your system? Thanks for the response!

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added a coral beauty and a flame to my 120g. I love them both but my DH says the flame is the only fish he always sees when he goes by. He outshines the coral.
5b63b16d6e79479cedbbc906a19aa11d.jpg

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added a coral beauty and a flame to my 120g. I love them both but my DH says the flame is the only fish he always sees when he goes by. He outshines the coral.
5b63b16d6e79479cedbbc906a19aa11d.jpg
"DH"? I'm still trying to figure out some of the acronyms for all of this stuff! Haha!

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider a few fairy wrasses. They come in great colors and aren't very big fish at max size. I think they would provide the color and movement you're looking for.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! A snowflake or any eel would be awesome! I have thought about it, but will wait until i build my 220 system and my fish have gained a little size. You know, just in case! Haha! A ribbon eel would be soooooooo sweeeeeeet! Or a Japanese dragon Eel if money were no object!!!!

A snowflake will be perfectly happy in a 120. But the other fish may not be off the lunch menu haha. It's very unlikely to eat others if you can get a baby snowflake though!
A Japanese dragon is pretty much the epitome of morays for me haha. I only hope I get to see one in real life, but I'll probably never own one myself. I've never seen one advertised for sale in Australia, but I bet they're a lot more expensive than in the US like most of our other fish are :(

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lyretails and bartlett anthias are easier anthias to get started with. They are very hardy, but can be feisty amongst themselves.

Dispar or randalls anthias are alnost as hardy, but more peaceful with each other.

Fairy or flasher wrasses would be other nice choices, as would a purple tilefish.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$138 Swissguard Basslet. The best tank mate. There is a pic of my $60 Red Saddle back Anthies that didn't last more than 3 months. Got bullied by a Randall's Prawn Goby who is still a jerk.
$128 Grammica Lined Dartfish & $25 Spotted Mandarin
I have a figure 8 puffer in my brackish 13g. 3 years now. Best $8 I ever spent. The best personality like you said!

FB_IMG_1476505285803.jpg

.facebook_1489642702180.jpg

20170225_120000.jpg

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That basslet looks awesome!
Thanks! He is such a perfect fish and that pic does it no justice. The hot pink, yellow, and white stripes are barely visible. He loves being up early and going to bed late with the moonlight on and having the whole tank to himself.

Back