Identify this algae

NewestToTheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone identify this algae that's growing on my glass. Its almost transparent and wavy. Its only growing on the glass and a acrylic frag rack I have beat all the hair algae and now this is growing. How can I get rid of it?

20210809_214543.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like film or Mat algae but hard to confirm as pics are in heavy blue lighting
Take pics under white lights
Is tank at or near a window ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yep= Film algae. This green powdery film, or cloudiness is caused by a variety of species of microalgae. It is fairly common in tanks of all ages, and tends to be present in some degree at all times. It is only when a bloom occurs that the microalgae becomes so dense as to become noticeable.
Reduce white light intensity and add snails such as: Cerith, Nerite, Astrea, limpets and chitons. Many copepods, amphipods and isopods will feed on film algae as well. Scrape the glass or magnet cleaner and brush off rocks with a toothbrush.
Is tank at or near a window?

OP
OP
NewestToTheReef

NewestToTheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep= Film algae. This green powdery film, or cloudiness is caused by a variety of species of microalgae. It is fairly common in tanks of all ages, and tends to be present in some degree at all times. It is only when a bloom occurs that the microalgae becomes so dense as to become noticeable.
Reduce white light intensity and add snails such as: Cerith, Nerite, Astrea, limpets and chitons. Many copepods, amphipods and isopods will feed on film algae as well. Scrape the glass or magnet cleaner and brush off rocks with a toothbrush.
Is tank at or near a window?
So right now im running 2 ATI Coral Plus and 2 ATI Blue Plus. Not near a window at all. I also haven't noticed any on the rocks just the glass and that frag rack. Will try the snails though. Thank you.

Back