Identifying Coral Frags at LFS?

squidleydidleydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been going around to my local fish stores to find the ones I like the best, and I LOVE looking at all of the coral frags and imagining them growing in my future tank. The problem is that none of the frag tanks have labels on them (aside from general price), so I'm not sure what species/varieties I'm actually looking at. Is there a good resource out there or just some general advice for identifying corals in stores?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been going around to my local fish stores to find the ones I like the best, and I LOVE looking at all of the coral frags and imagining them growing in my future tank. The problem is that none of the frag tanks have labels on them (aside from general price), so I'm not sure what species/varieties I'm actually looking at. Is there a good resource out there or just some general advice for identifying corals in stores?
Start by checking out online retailers. Get general ideas of which types demand certain parameters and care level.

Start with easier ones and see how you do. From there plan color schemes and available real estate. Some are slow growers, while some will ruin your tank. (gsp)

OP
OP
squidleydidleydoo

squidleydidleydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start by checking out online retailers. Get general ideas of which types demand certain parameters and care level.

Start with easier ones and see how you do. From there plan color schemes and available real estate. Some are slow growers, while some will ruin your tank. (gsp)
I've done a lot of online looking and have decided on the varieties that I'm wanting, I just have a hard time knowing what I'm looking at in an actual store.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a lot of online looking and have decided on the varieties that I'm wanting, I just have a hard time knowing what I'm looking at in an actual store.
I don't ever worry about names when shopping. As long as you know your tank can handle it, (sps,lps,softies or w/e) just pick what you like.

XtraKargo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Typically they can tell you what is what, and even give you a general idea of the care requirements. You'll build a relationship with different stores, and get an idea on whose knowledgeable and willing to teach. Good luck!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back