Identifying Female Flasher Wrasses

Rico's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

My LFS just informed me they were able to get a female Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus Carpenteri), i asked them to place it on hold for me so i can go purchase it later today. This got me thinking about how they even know its a female Carpenter's Wrasse(in hopes that maybe it could be a female of another species that i have on my fish list :p). I began to search the interwebs for some information on identifying the difference in species when it comes to female flashers but was unable to find any literature on this topic :(.

So my question is how do you guys identify what species of female flasher wrasse(Paracheilinus) you are looking at?

I was hoping some of you Wrasse experts could chime in here :D

P.S. If you know of any resources for this information please let me know ;Bookworm

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Identifying female flasher wrasse is easy.

Just take a picture and post it on the ID thread, you will have an accurate answer shortly!

I too have been unable to find a good reference source other than the experts here.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that I've seen McCosker's and yellowfin flashers identified as Carpenters, and social fairies identified as filamented flashers, (and those were all adult males!) I don't think I'd trust most LFS to get females right.

~Bruce

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Identifying females can be incredibly difficult. If the species is identifiable, then it is likely a transitional male at the very least.

Very true ...I find most female/juvenile Flasher and Fairy wrasses are just reddish in color and until male fins/colorations form it difficult to determine the species....

OP
OP
Rico's Reef

Rico's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the replies! So i went in to go see the female flasher and this is what i was greeted with:

Wrasse ID.JPG

It doesn't look like a female Paracheilinus but maybe more so a female Cirrhilabrus but of course i could be wrong. I will post an ID thread as suggested :p This reminded me of an article i read on reef builders where it had one male Paracheilinus with a harem of Cirrhilabrus in the background in multiple shots at Triton Bay(https://reefbuilders.com/2014/10/20/reef-nuggets-3-fairies-flashers-notes-wild/). This may be why it was identified as a female Paracheilinus. My LFS told me the wholesaler was the one who told them it was a female Paracheilinus. From what I have seen most female Paracheilinus of different species tend to have those iridescent lines that are found in the body of both male and female fish like this male and female Paracheilinus Filamentosus:

Paracheilinus_filamentosus male-Female.jpg

Maybe this is the best way to identify if it is a Female Paracheilinus? I'm by no means an expert in Paracheilinus, any input from the Wrasse gurus would be awesome! What do you guys use as your resources when it comes to identifying different Labridea?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got a female fairy wrasse from the lubbocki complex of species.

Kuiter's Labridae book and Fishbase are the sources I rely on if I can't identify the species on my own.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got a female fairy wrasse from the lubbocki complex of species.

Kuiter's Labridae book and Fishbase are the sources I rely on if I can't identify the species on my own.
I'm going to disagree; looks like rubripinnis to me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back