Identifying Photos of Dangerous/ Toxic Corals

2mk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear all,

After hearing about Palytoxins for the first time after keeping a marine tank for close to 6 years (including Paly/Zoas) is really disturbing and mind boggling. I have so far read quite some threads here and there and becomes more confused. Some say some are more toxic than others, others say that it depends on the coral itself.

In short, I am getting more confused by the day since I have had episodes of not felling well for days over the past 6 years I have been keeping a marine tank after handling it bare hands all of the time and not realizing I was putting myself at great risks. The talks goes that Palys/Zoas are to blame. My hunch is that anything that looks dazzling is a suspect.

This thread is created for any inputs from anyone who had bad health experiences associated with touching Corals (limited to Palys/Zoas) with bare hands. Please post pictures of Bad Corals and provide a really brief narration of what happened after touching the coral being discussed, with personal experience so the reefing community, especially the non experts like me can be careful with their "supposedly non lethal" hobby. As the saying goes, a picture is better than a thousand words.

OP
OP

2mk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear all,

After hearing about Palytoxins for the first time after keeping a marine tank for close to 6 years (including Paly/Zoas) is really disturbing and mind boggling. I have so far read quite some threads here and there and becomes more confused. Some say some are more toxic than others, others say that it depends on the coral itself.

In short, I am getting more confused by the day since I have had episodes of not felling well for days over the past 6 years I have been keeping a marine tank after handling it bare hands all of the time and not realizing I was putting myself at great risks. The talks goes that Palys/Zoas are to blame. My hunch is that anything that looks dazzling is a suspect.

This thread is created for any inputs from anyone who had bad health experiences associated with touching Corals (limited to Palys/Zoas) with bare hands. Please post pictures of Bad Corals and provide a really brief narration of what happened after touching the coral being discussed, with personal experience so the reefing community, especially the non experts like me can be careful with their "supposedly non lethal" hobby. As the saying goes, a picture is better than a thousand words.

Correction. Not limited to Palys and Zoas

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent 2 hours yesterday toothbrushing zoas and palys (under water to get a bit of algae off them) and gluing them to rocks, close to 20 different frags worth with no ill effect. The thing is unless you have a open wound, or squeeze them into your eye or mouth, or scrub them out of water in a closed room, you're not going to experience any issues.

The horror stories come from people who take a rock covered with zoas/palys out of their tank and leave them exposed to the air, or scrub them while out of the water.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 83 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%

Back