If I dose, do I need top spec salt??

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I started my 700l system 8 months ago, I have used instant ocean salt as below:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193652683912

I have recently read that this salt is considered suitable for fish only systems. I have just started dosing ATI Essentials Pro 2 part which states it has everything a system needs for good coral growth. I also target feed reef roids twice per week.

So my question is, is there any point in paying out for a high brand salt if I am dosing ATI? The salt claims it "includes all of the necessary major, minor, and trace elements." Should I upgrade to a better salt or is there no point?

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of people use Instant Ocean. It's a perfectly workable salt, and it's so inexpensive that there's no real reason to switch over unless you have very specific goals that can only be accomplished by another salt.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I started my 700l system 8 months ago, I have used instant ocean salt as below:
I have recently read that this salt is considered suitable for fish only systems.

That's ridiculous. I used only normal IO for 20 years, and considered it the best choice for my system.

The only knock on it, IMO, is that the alkalinity is higher than many folks like, and some folks like to use a salt mix that matches the tank alk so that if they do substantial water changes, alkalinity doesn't change. That was not an issue for me as I did water changes slowly and automatically.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's ridiculous. I used only normal IO for 20 years, and considered it the best choice for my system.

The only knock on it, IMO, is that the alkalinity is higher than many folks like, and some folks like to use a salt mix that matches the tank alk so that if they do substantial water changes, alkalinity doesn't change. That was not an issue for me as I did water changes slowly and automatically.
Great to hear. Thanks for the feedback

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back