If not an aiptasia, then what?

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I’ve got a few of these anemones popping up around my tank. My understanding is that aiptasia are non-native to the gulf, and so I do not believe these anemones are aiptasia. If that is indeed the case, then what might these be?

9EFC1EBD-0D5C-4863-B019-C37CB9E8EA7B.jpeg

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curlique anemone. Very similar looking to aiptasia (especially when small) but less likely to take over a tank. Not really a very big issue, but many people will remove them anyways as they can still sting corals. Personally, I'd keep it. They aren't super common, and they look really neat when they get big.

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curlique anemone. Very similar looking to aiptasia (especially when small) but less likely to take over a tank. Not really a very big issue, but many people will remove them anyways as they can still sting corals. Personally, I'd keep it. They aren't super common, and they look really neat when they get big.
This gives me a new route to research, thank you!

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Curlique anemone looks very different to the one in pic. This is a pic of one that came on my gulf live rock.

F9E25F9B-B91F-445A-A59A-964837EA99CC.jpeg

I have anemones similar to the ones in OP’s pics. It is apparently a type of aiptasia, but not the common type that is found in the hobby.

They stay small and my acros grow over them/displace them. Sometimes I find one clinging in to the glass temporarily. Peppermint shrimp keeps them in check.

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curlique anemone looks very different to the one in pic. This is a pic of one that came on my gulf live rock.

F9E25F9B-B91F-445A-A59A-964837EA99CC.jpeg

I have anemones similar to the ones in OP’s pics. It is apparently a type of aiptasia, but not the common type that is found in the hobby.

They stay small and my acros grow over them/displace them. Sometimes I find one clinging in to the glass temporarily. Peppermint shrimp keeps them in check.
I’ve got two healthy peppermint shrimp in the tank that show no interest in these particular anemones. That’s one reason I began to suspect they may be something other than aiptasia.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia are non-native to the gulf.
There are only three remaining species of Aiptasia; A. couchii, A. insignis, and A. mutabilis; none of which are found in the western Atlantic. However, some species that previously belonged to the Aiptasia genus were reassigned to the genus Exaiptasia such as Exaiptasia diaphana (once known as Aiptasia pallida), which is known to be one of the pest “Aiptasia” species and is found in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. My guess is that you have Exaiptasia, though I am not sure about the species and whether yours is invasive or not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are only three remaining species of Aiptasia; A. couchii, A. insignis, and A. mutabilis; none of which are found in the western Atlantic. However, some species that previously belonged to the Aiptasia genus were reassigned to the genus Exaiptasia such as Exaiptasia diaphana (once known as Aiptasia pallida), which is known to be one of the pest “Aiptasia” species and is found in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. My guess is that you have Exaiptasia, though I am not sure about the species and whether yours is invasive or not.
This is really great information. Thank you!

Chelsea0872

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4A664883-4CE7-4E1D-B05E-1930EF60059C.jpeg
so i bought this not knowing what it was
Now I have this other thing growing next to it
Do I want any of this in my tank?
7ADD7378-4215-41FF-8F1A-6567DE7E4388.png

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%

Back