If not ich… then what?

zyrzyxen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I posted over the past few days on what I had suspected to be ich. This can be seen here.

As an update the following morning after the post I had anticipated starting treatment. Upon inspecting my fish, the fain dots or spots I had sawn only a few hours earlier could no longer be seen. Now I haven’t started any sort of treatment and my clowns are doing great. Nothing indicating otherwise that either may have been sick which has generally been the case. Having been my first experience with clowns, I just get super anxious and assume the worst as I really wanna do right by my clowns and keep them alive.

I guess my question now is what should I do if anything at all with my clowns? They are currently in an observation/QT and I’m checking parameters on a regular as to not have any toxic levels. Should I proceed with a copper treatment in the event my fish does have itch and try to eradicate it? What’s proper procedure any how if I want my DT to be free from any pest that may affect my fish in the future aside from having it run fallow for 70+ days?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zyrzyxen Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
literally just came across the BRSTV video on white spot diseases and what I initially saw on my clown looks exactly like that of what they showed for Lymphocystis which they proceeded to state no treatment is known.
We really need clears pictures and videos to diagnose this for you.

Lymphocystis is a viral disease that goes away on its own without treatment. It creates growths that are much larger than ich and they last a month or so.

Ich spots are small and sharply outlined. At first, the spots will come and go, but if/when the infection ramps up, the spots return in huge numbers and the fish will typically die in a few weeks without treatment.

OP
OP
Z

zyrzyxen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We really need clears pictures and videos to diagnose this for you.

Lymphocystis is a viral disease that goes away on its own without treatment. It creates growths that are much larger than ich and they last a month or so.

Ich spots are small and sharply outlined. At first, the spots will come and go, but if/when the infection ramps up, the spots return in huge numbers and the fish will typically die in a few weeks without treatment.
Most recent video can be found here.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most recent video can be found here.
I don’t see lymphocystis on these fish. Ich is really difficult to see in videos of designer clowns, but I don’t see any evidence of that either.
The water seems a bit murky and the fish are breathing a bit fast. I would first add aeration and test for ammonia.

OP
OP
Z

zyrzyxen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see lymphocystis on these fish. Ich is really difficult to see in videos of designer clowns, but I don’t see any evidence of that either.
The water seems a bit murky and the fish are breathing a bit fast. I would first add aeration and test for ammonia.
This was immediately post feed with food soaked in selcon so it made the tank murky. After having read what normal procedures look like with new fish and QT it seems copper treatment is fairly standard when QT prior to adding fish to DT. I did not realize this was the case. I had seen a video that stated copper treatment is like chemo for fish so why treat when not entirely sure. I’m just awaiting a Hanna checker to eliminate any guess work.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was immediately post feed with food soaked in selcon so it made the tank murky. After having read what normal procedures look like with new fish and QT it seems copper treatment is fairly standard when QT prior to adding fish to DT. I did not realize this was the case. I had seen a video that stated copper treatment is like chemo for fish so why treat when not entirely sure. I’m just awaiting a Hanna checker to eliminate any guess work.
Amine chelated copper like coppersafe and copper power are much safer than ionic copper is.

OP
OP
Z

zyrzyxen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amine chelated copper like coppersafe and copper power are much safer than ionic copper is.
Yeah, some had recommended Copper Power over Cupramine. Luckily I was able to swap out. One question I have is after having been in 2.0-2.5 levels for 30 days would Cuprisorb or water changes completely remove the copper?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah, some had recommended Copper Power over Cupramine. Luckily I was able to swap out. One question I have is after having been in 2.0-2.5 levels for 30 days would Cuprisorb or water changes completely remove the copper?
Cuprisorb will remove most of it. To verify any trace left, use copper test kit to determine

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are the best way to remove amine chelated copper. You can use cuprisorb to remove the residual amount, where water changes become less effective. Say you do a 50% water change to start. The copper drops by half right off. Then, it takes another 50% change to remove 25% of the original copper, and so on…law of diminishing returns.

OP
OP
Z

zyrzyxen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are the best way to remove amine chelated copper. You can use cuprisorb to remove the residual amount, where water changes become less effective. Say you do a 50% water change to start. The copper drops by half right off. Then, it takes another 50% change to remove 25% of the original copper, and so on…law of diminishing returns.
I did some observation on my clowns and noticed the one that has been bullied in the past couple weeks by the other, his tail doesn’t seem to be looking any better with the nipping. Would this be affected with copper treatment? Should I be placing the aggressor in a separate container within the QT? I would like to add I never see them fighting or nipping at each other and suspect it may be happening at night if anything.

IMG_0015.jpeg
IMG_0014.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some observation on my clowns and noticed the one that has been bullied in the past couple weeks by the other, his tail doesn’t seem to be looking any better with the nipping. Would this be affected with copper treatment? Should I be placing the aggressor in a separate container within the QT? I would like to add I never see them fighting or nipping at each other and suspect it may be happening at night if anything.

IMG_0015.jpeg
IMG_0014.jpeg
Clownfish are sly, they often stop fighting when you are in the room. Also, the fighting can be literally a few seconds each day and easily missed.

Rather than moving one of the fish to a new tank, you could try a tank divider.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back