If one fish out of two dies in observation tank

Bobblehead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Rainford goby and a Banggai cardinal in an observation tank for 21 days. Both fish were doing well, goby eating algae in tank and cardinal eating frozen homemade mix. Then 2 days ago I noticed the cardinal not eating so eagerly and just this afternoon, I came home to see it dead on the bottom. No signs of any disease to my amateur eyes. Never noticed any heavy breathing.
I guess the purpose of this post is to see what others think I should do with the goby, whether I should keep it in the observation tank for a little while longer or transfer it into the display tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have had a Rainford goby and a Banggai cardinal in an observation tank for 21 days. Both fish were doing well, goby eating algae in tank and cardinal eating frozen homemade mix. Then 2 days ago I noticed the cardinal not eating so eagerly and just this afternoon, I came home to see it dead on the bottom. No signs of any disease to my amateur eyes. Never noticed any heavy breathing.
I guess the purpose of this post is to see what others think I should do with the goby, whether I should keep it in the observation tank for a little while longer or transfer it into the display tank.
Test water and see what may be off such as ammonia or nitrate.
Then do a good water change and continue Quarantine

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t use observational quarantine unless the species is really delicate like flashlight fish, seahorses or maybe mandarins. Everything else gets a full proactive quarantine (outlined in the sticky at the top of the disease forum).
If you go observational only, you should hold the goby at least 30 days (45 is better) beyond the date that the cardinal fish died.
Jay

OP
OP
B

Bobblehead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test water and see what may be off such as ammonia or nitrate.
Then do a good water change and continue Quarantine
I just did a few tests, Ammonia and Nitrate both zero. Alkalinity at 7 for whatever that’s worth. Nitrate test is with Hanna but only had API for ammonia.

I’m just hoping I don’t have to keep the Rainford in this tank for another few weeks. It’ll find much better food to graze in the main tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just did a few tests, Ammonia and Nitrate both zero. Alkalinity at 7 for whatever that’s worth. Nitrate test is with Hanna but only had API for ammonia.

I’m just hoping I don’t have to keep the Rainford in this tank for another few weeks. It’ll find much better food to graze in the main tank.
alk is for coral and should be 8-11dkh
The ammonia is the one of my concern and as you may know, well known for false reading results.
Take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use API kits for testing and see what results they come up with

OP
OP
B

Bobblehead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t use observational quarantine unless the species is really delicate like flashlight fish, seahorses or maybe mandarins. Everything else gets a full proactive quarantine (outlined in the sticky at the top of the disease forum).
If you go observational only, you should hold the goby at least 30 days (45 is better) beyond the date that the cardinal fish died.
Jay
Ouch…just as I was posting my other reply.
Unfortunately for my fish, I live in Canada where the powers that be have deemed us incapable of using the required medication. My plan was to observe fish for a few weeks and if I noticed anything, I was going to go with the hyposalinity method. I was on the fence about this because I still haven’t actually seen any signs other than the obvious death.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch…just as I was posting my other reply.
Unfortunately for my fish, I live in Canada where the powers that be have deemed us incapable of using the required medication. My plan was to observe fish for a few weeks and if I noticed anything, I was going to go with the hyposalinity method. I was on the fence about this because I still haven’t actually seen any signs other than the obvious death.
Canada is an issue with fish meds. Hyposalinity would be an option, but likely wouldn’t have helped the cardinal, but might give you a bit more confidence in moving the goby out.
Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back