If one polyp has an issue, will the rest suffer?

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a handful of zoa frags over the last week and all seem to be doing well so far. I noticed that one frag with about a dozen polyps or so has some sort of lesion. The lesion is not on the polyp itself but on the "tunnels" or tissue that connects one polyp to the other. The polpys are all opening up well though.

Is it advisable to sacrifice this one polyp and try to get rid of the lesion? If there is an infection or something, will the issue spread to everyone else?

OP
OP
PugsAndFish

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lesion can be seen by the edge of the plug at the bottom. I can see it dangling back and forth with the flow. I'm thinking of cutting it off and maybe putting it on its own plug to see if it'll recover.
IMG_1792.jpg

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to move it to it's own plug give it a good dip in iodine like seachem reef dip. It will help fight infection.

OP
OP
PugsAndFish

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to move it to it's own plug give it a good dip in iodine like seachem reef dip. It will help fight infection.
Do I need to also dip the larger "colony" since it'll also suffer from a incision?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back