If we think equipment prices are high . .. . . . .

pepper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often called Buy it once, Ive seen too many buy a $50 china light and had issues, was unable to get parts or support, then got irate and bought a kessil or Ai Prime. Would have been best to buy the kessil or prime up front
THIS! I don't know how many times I tried to save a little bit of money, and it quickly backfired on me, and I end up buying the expensive brand and wishing I would have done so from the beginning.

Though a few times I also splurged a little to get something a bit more expensive with wifi or something and realized that I have to pay another $200-$400 for some kind of box to actually make the wifi work if my tank isn't next to a computer.

TBH personally, I'm ok with things being more expensive, as long as they ARE better, and I wish they would just come with everything they need to work all the functions. I am really tired of spending $500+ on something that doesn't ACTUALLY have all the things, and you end up upgrading it and in the end, spending $1000 on something that if you would have just gotten sometime "tried and true" for $300 without wifi. For example, seneye+ reef monitor. It's a great device, doesn't get me wrong, but I spent $300 for it, just to realize that if my tank isn't close enough to my computer to run a USB too, I have to spend another $300 on their dry box webserver. :loudly-crying-face: I ended up just running an extra-long USB to my computer, but it was still a pain. For a device that I spent $300 on, and that I have $10 usbs that can make my crappy coffee pot connect to wifi, it's kind of a pain that it's SO expensive just for a box to make it work.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The markup I usually see is 40-50% of manufacturing costs on electronics. The prices are set by the manufacturers, and retailers must adhere to their policies if they want to sell them. On another note, many people buy Apple products, which are also MAP priced, yet never flinch about upgrading. I think it is all a perception of value vs. cost.
Reefing can be done with less expensive equipment. But for many, imo, having a reef tank is a status symbol of achievement, and high dollar equipment adds to their perception of success.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still curious on everyone's thoughts:

What does everyone believe will be the costs of essential items such as lighting , water flow, sumps, tanks, skimmers and such?
Do you also see our equipment going completely WiFi ?
Prices will always trend upward.
Just wait until we have a conflict with China.
I run alot of Tunze equipment. Have some 15 year old pumps that I would have no problem using and do when needed

That said I prefer the Jebao powerheads now. Been running them for 5+ years and only replaced 1 controller. I currently run 6 on 4 different tanks.

I have many new in box backups if needed.

Either way prices will still go up as technolohy is not free.

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What does everyone believe will be the costs of essential items such as lighting , water flow, sumps, tanks, skimmers and such?
I started my first tank with lawn mowing money back 25 years ago.. at 20$ a yard I could only imagine how long it would have taken me. A 150$ skimmer was insane back then to me now I have a 600$ one sitting in my sump. I think its only going to get more out of hand. Maybe close to 1000$ within the next 10 years? Were talking base average here, I understand that there are already items that expensive. But for a young kid trying to get into the hobby it wont be easy for sure. Stupidly im 30k plus into mine and dont see it when I look at this system as a whole.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The markup I usually see is 40-50% of manufacturing costs on electronics. The prices are set by the manufacturers, and retailers must adhere to their policies if they want to sell them. On another note, many people buy Apple products, which are also MAP priced, yet never flinch about upgrading. I think it is all a perception of value vs. cost.
Reefing can be done with less expensive equipment. But for many, imo, having a reef tank is a status symbol of achievement, and high dollar equipment adds to their perception of success.
This is so true. It’s concerning though. When LEDs first came out they were touted as taking much less energy and that they were long lived. They were supposed to be far less expensive than MH or T5s to run. That little fib is still told today. MH done right should heat the tank enough to keep the heaters off while the lights are on and then the heaters should come on at night without the temperature fluctuating more than a degree or two at most. The bigger the system the more you’ll save just by having halides. I’ve never needed a chiller or anything.

To me anyway the not so rich person who built their own custom fixture, stand, etc and got their tank and sump for a far better price than most are willing to pay have accomplished far more than the uber rich buying a turnkey system. For instance, I’d rather have an aqueon tank running with MH and/or T5s than a Red Sea tank with “high end” LED lights any day.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I honestly think that in order to answer this we need to acknowledge the fact that this hobby attracts people from all income levels. And that it's easy to have the higher income brackets dictate product costs. While the lower income bracket, none the wiser, will justify purchases as the price of being in the hobby

It's the equivalent of a poor person attaining a membership to a country club and having his eyes open to the extravagance. Which forces them to max out credit cards just to obtain a sliver of that lifestyle.

You can no longer be content by having the blinders on. Another analogys: at that point, it's impossible to be truly happy watching football, drinking beer while poring money into your hotrod. Ignorance can no longer be bliss

I think that as long as
people see that products are being purchased at the higher price point they're more inclined to do the same. Which is why an argument can be made that consumers aren't driving this market smartly.

So, to answer your question, prices are going to increase until it hits that proverbial bedrock. But until then, strap in and enjoy the ride.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can only complain about prices so much till it starts sounding like a broken record. Don't like it, a) get out of the hobby, b) create your own product and sell cheap to the masses, c) reef old school without all the new stuff.

Anyway, yeah ... everything will be wifi and should already be really.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I got pretty much all of my stuff used. If you're patient you can pick up nice stuff for a song on fb marketplace. Except heaters. Don't even trust brand new heaters. Use them with an inkbird and replace em every year. They're relatively cheap and the number 1 cause of a tank crash.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh I can see it now….. additive methods like moonshiners coming up with a system similar to the mini bar in hotel. Automated replenishments. I think the recurring subscription model will gain some steam. I’ve seen the light so to speak with my vision loss. I use ai apps to scan barcodes (pretty neat as it verbally tells me to move the camera or turn the product until it recognizes it) for product information. I can see that turning into an instant purchase. Running low on something, hold the phone up to it and it’s at your door in a couple days. Things like roller filters. Automatic ordering of replacement rolls before they run out. Technology is great! Well, up until there’s a glitch in the matrix, a mountain of products piled against the front door and the machines rebel and take over the world!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People are leaving the hobby. Slight downturn of expendable cash is perhaps one reason, among others. LFS sales in my area are all down. Traffic on this board appears less than before.

We are likely to see a market correction with the prices of reef equipment - the gravy train of increases and everybody having a supplement and equipment company will come to a halt like 15 years ago. Some companies will cease to exist.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Short answer is that it will be as high as people are willing to pay for any given item that will perpetuate the greed from over charging their clients . LEDs are way past the R&D stage and prices should be way cheaper then they are now . Don’t get me started on skimmers and tanks !! :cool: When are you leaving for Hawaii?

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current state of Wi-Fi reminds me of the days when you either had to buy a turn-key AV system for your home or suffer with a drawer full of remotes.

I like WI-FI, but I would really appreciate a common set of standards and more universal control that does not tie me to a specific brand.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer is that it will be as high as people are willing to pay for any given item that will perpetuate the greed from over charging their clients . LEDs are way past the R&D stage and prices should be way cheaper then they are now . Don’t get me started on skimmers and tanks !! :cool: When are you leaving for Hawaii?
I mean…….. you can buy a huge 85” 4K television with billions of leds for the same price as a xr30 :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What do you think will happen to pricing. How far will it go in your opinion?

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
4 weeks

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current state of Wi-Fi reminds me of the days when you either had to buy a turn-key AV system for your home or suffer with a drawer full of remotes.

I like WI-FI, but I would really appreciate a common set of standards and more universal control that does not tie me to a specific brand.
This! I’m so tired of using all these different proprietary apps. Where’s that old school harmony remote when you need it?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back