If You Could Meet Anyone In The Reef Aquarium Industry, Who Would It Be?

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Not me, I’m not much fun to be around in person, just ask my wife!
I’m just 40 minutes from you, Sir. You are on my list as well. But I will just have to enjoy your work at the aquarium in lieu of. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Age old advice... never meet your idols!
I am interested in talking to people, not their reputations. I don’t hold anyone to any higher of a degree than being a human being.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
No matter what degrees or whatever they have everyone in this hobby is easy to have a conversation with.
I have met too many to name and they are all gentlemen.
There are a few hobbyists I would like to meet.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
I've already met a ton of people. Two of them were absolute clowns. I still make fun of Joey standing on a curb to look taller in a group photo. Co-op guy not knowing the names of the plants he was selling and throwing a fit and leaving the convention never to be seen again while his lackeys ran the booth. So mostly planted tank people I guess. I wonder if the salty people would be less ridiculous. My thoughts are...no. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I don't really have a desire to meet anyone. There are quite a few people that I correspond with in this hobby that I have have no idea what they look like, nor what their voice sounds like. And I'm ok with that.
Pretty much the same...

I was a board member for our club for a decade and we had 8-10 speakers a year. We also put on MACNA (2007 I think?), several large frag swaps, etc. and booking all of the vendors and speakers, airport transportation, dinners, etc. So over 20 or so years have talked to most of the usual suspects, business owners and numerous people from the forums in person.

Will_W

View Badges
Reaction score
I would definitly love to meet mochi from inappropriatereefer and March of Fragbox! both those gents and the guys at brs really got me inspired, educated and started on my reefing journey

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Don’t really know.. maybe sunny x… I’m not to keen with todays influencers or YouTube and Instagram stars lol..
I’m not sure how many “content creators” are anything but popular hobbyists anyway. My line of thought is who I would like to talk to, to gain reefing knowledge and insight from.

ReefLegends

For all your phyto, rotifer and copepods needs
View Badges
Reaction score
My short list, in no particular order, would include: The Reef2Reef staff, Jay Hemdal, Marc Levenson, Rich Ross, Dr. Sanjay Joshi, Julian Sprung, Adam Derickson, Than Thein, Zach “Remy” Hoesly, and Ryan Batcheller. There are more that I can’t remember at the moment, but basically, I would talk reefing with anyone. :grinning-squinting-face:
Time to fly to RAP event, get a diamond or vendor pass. I was shocked to see Sanjay at Reefstock Denver.

ReefLegends

View Badges
Reaction score
Macna was a great place to mingle with people, hopefully those days return. I won’t be attending this year, I’m not a fan of Orlando in September.

Aquashella has been a great mix of content creators and artists. I don’t really watch content creators, so I don’t know who you are talking about but the cool people are usually at the larger shows.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Time to fly to RAP event, get a diamond or vendor pass. I was shocked to see Sanjay at Reefstock Denver.

Macna was a great place to mingle with people, hopefully those days return. I won’t be attending this year, I’m not a fan of Orlando in September.

Aquashella has been a great mix of content creators and artists. I don’t really watch content creators, so I don’t know who you are talking about but the cool people are usually at the larger shows.
Yeah, my only chance is national shows in the Chicago area because it’s a reasonable drive. My wife doesn’t fly, and I don’t take solo vacations. Aquashella is cool. I like to talk to various vendors and company reps. I’m not star struck with anyone on social media either. I just like to get out and talk shop with whomever will listen.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Miss jake and Rob Fenner- Julian Sprung ive met and always inspiring

ReefLegends

View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah, my only chance is national shows in the Chicago area because it’s a reasonable drive. My wife doesn’t fly, and I don’t take solo vacations. Aquashella is cool. I like to talk to various vendors and company reps. I’m not star struck with anyone on social media either. I just like to get out and talk shop with whomever will listen.
Did you do Aquashella 2018 or 2019 in Chicago?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back