If You Had to Get Rid of One Fish in Your Tank, Which One Would it be and Why?

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My damsel (fully grown adult) was a real jerk. Terrorized my clowns and bullied anyone new.

Long story short: he died after being moved to an emergency holding tank during a major leak. Turns out he and a beautiful sleeper head goby were both electrocuted by a faulty emergency heater overnight.

I had thought about removing him in the past but I was pretty sad when he died. I tend to miss the jerks (be it livestock or pet) when they are gone the most.
same! why the jerks?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wonder why people still get damsels that arent springers... i have a springers and he is amazing! i love him! hes super good at pest control and not really agressive just protective of his hidey hole. i already got rid of my fish i would get rid of. otherwise all of my fish are great!
It’s because they are ugly……… :squinting-face-with-tongue: :grinning-squinting-face:

p1u5h13r4m24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Engineer goby. He killed a coral once burring it in sand and now I want revenge. Other than that sometimes he moves sand.

Dog Whiskey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been actively attempting to get rid of a hitchhiker (killifish) who tries to terrorize everyone and has mostly succeeded in traumatizing my one remaining chromis -- to the degree where the chromis has been relocated to the QT. I suspect, but cannot prove, that he also tortured another chromis to death and killed a forktail blenny, one crab, and one shrimp. Total Napoleon complex. Problem is he's tiny and fast. Can't catch him.

Remy_the_Knife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bonded pair of ocellaris Clown fish. I had them together for about 5 years in a couple different tanks. We had them in our Red Sea Nano cycling and they figured they owned it. I added other fish and corals somewhat OK. On Black Friday last year I got a flame angel and unfortunately watched those 2 jerks literally tear it to ribbons. It was dead by 10 PM the same night. $80 down the pooper. We moved them into a small Nano tank by themselves but I recently brought them to my LFS and traded them for some store credit. Best decision ever… jerks

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a maroon clown I got because I hoped it would help my foxface be braver. It hasn't and it just sits in the back corner and sometimes comes out to mess up the sand or chase away another fish. I thought it was a pretty fish but I just don't notice it.
They have a spine within their cheeks so all the best it will start bitting your hands too!

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it HAD to be one, it would be the yellow eyed kole but that would reduce my population down 25%. Only have him a yellow tang and two percula clowns. After an initial velvet kill and restart I haven’t added a fish in 6 years. All is balanced and happy…so I started a 30 LPS with what?
two clowns and one goby. All in harmony and flourishing.

oldschoolnewventure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if one day you were told you had to get rid of one fish in your tank for whatever reason it may be, what would be that one fish that you have to get rid of and why would you choose that one fish?
I just got rid of a fox face who all of a sudden developed a taste for my corals all of them.

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
X 2 on the neon velvet damsel. They're beautiful but they're mean, have a voracious appetite, get gigantic and live forever apparently.
I donated them and now I am in peace. Don't know why they kill corals and then algae starts growing on Them and they enjoy that snacks.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back