If you have a AquaTop media reactor READ

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this AQUATOP MR-30 6 months ago to use as a algea reactor.
Wrapped in led strip light and all that. Worked pretty well untill you have to remoe the algea and it makes a mess of water, but whatever that's my bad planning lol!
The huge issue is i removed it from my system and started to rinse it off. Look at this

17069673093797421353398604698354.jpg

17069673309233894499366474838556.jpg

The screw heads are beyond rotting. This is wild! It bubbled up the rust 1/2 above the screw head. Immediately pops off aswel. Hmmmm maybe this is why my corals went downhill. Time for a ICP test. Not sure how toxic rust if to a reef but this isn't a tiny amount.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rust by itself shouldn’t be toxic, as it’s pretty much the same stuff iron based GFO is made of.

However, the alloy the metal is made of can and will dissolve in trace amounts in the water and that could result in elevated heavy metals in the water.

An ICP test is a good think to do to see how bad it is, but since corals do badly I would also start a series of big water changes and consider using metal absorbing media - just don’t use the AquaTop to run it ;)

OP
OP
Trixter227

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rust by itself shouldn’t be toxic, as it’s pretty much the same stuff iron based GFO is made of.

However, the alloy the metal is made of can and will dissolve in trace amounts in the water and that could result in elevated heavy metals in the water.

An ICP test is a good think to do to see how bad it is, but since corals do badly I would also start a series of big water changes and consider using metal absorbing media - just don’t use the AquaTop to run it ;)
Thank you.
Luckily its been off the tank for a bit, and ive done a few waterchanges. I think i have a test on hand so i will send it out and see whats goin on. Ive never done a icp test on this tank so its good anyway.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
Luckily it’s been off the tank for a bit, and ive done a few waterchanges. I think i have a test on hand so i will send it out and see whats goin on. Ive never done a icp test on this tank so it’s good anyway.
Sounds like you’re on the right path.
If you see coral keep getting worse, I would keep doing water changes until you get the ICP test results.

I’ve had magnets blowing up in the water in the past and even without the use of metal absorbing media I was able to get the system back to a good shape only by doing back to back water changes, so that when the ICP results came back and validated what I already knew, it was already behind me.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back