If you were to interview a professional in the reefing industry what would you ask? And who would you interview?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are so many great businesses in the reefing industry! I'm talking everyone from coral vendors to manufacturers to equipment distributors to niche product innovators! So much knowledge and creativity!!! So thinking about this, let me ask you 2 questions:

If you could interview someone in the reef industry, what questions would you ask?

Who would be some of the people you would like to interview?

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Julian Sprung! So many questions I wouldn't know where to start. But I would ask him to walk me through how he would set up a 40 gallon, 90 gallon and 400 gallon system. From equipment, additives, livestock and maintenance. I think many of my questions would be answered from this walkthrough and explanations.

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sniper, Paletta, and the other early guys. Sorry if I didn't commit all the names to memory. Like the original "cookie monster" blue acro ARC keeps alive. I've only been in the hobby 8 years, seen lots of in house or business interviews pushing products. To meet any of those original guys on a park bench and mention I dabble with a salt tank would be an amazing conversation. They figured it out in the 80's when I was in pampers. Nobody take offense if I left your name out. BC has a great video of his upstairs garage. The 40 years of a diver snapping a branch or collecting something to mail 3,4,5, days to a person's door in 1980, I would sit there all day + to hear that reminisce. Then I'd sit another day to get the story on the Bayer dip. That was a bright bulb that blinked that we all benefit from today.

Edit: Tony's cookie monster! The story is on this site posted 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 hour bump b/c I want some more names or stories about the days when common people started figuring this stuff out for the rest of us. Coral Vita claims to be the 1st coral farm to reestablish our dying reefs? Founded in 2015? If I wanted a marine biologists thesis paper, I'd use Google and read stuff I'd never understand for years. Maybe you can't call the founders of this hobby professionals as the title states, they certainly had some insight and skill to work with what they had at the time to make this hobby what it is today.

Last edited:

Zoomer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joseph Caparatta would be interesting to sit down with. I'm not really sure what specific question I'd ask, but I would be interested to hear him talk about coral care, e-commerce, and branding. He has been involved with building many solid companies and seems to avoid much of the hype and find success along that path.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back