iFarmer's 93g reef cube - SPS tank

Macropora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup and great job on the stand. What's the thickness of the glass for it to start getting bubbles as you fill it? Was thinking of getting one of there rimless cubes for a future build...

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you, my friend, have the patience of a saint. I would be lambasting marineland at this point for their shabby construction. That is terrible.

Marineland, if you are reading this, you are losing customers with each viewer of this thread, fix this!

I can say this, if you get your money back again, get a visio 140 cube. I have one and the silicone is fantastic. Highly recommend it.

OP
OP
ifarmer

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is cycling (going into the 3rd week)

Still not sure how/what to do with the light yet.
newtank_cycling1.jpg

cube tank is easy to light. (I only use just 2x24w and looks like it's plenty)

Basement Sump
Water goes from 93g cube upstairs down into the 20g hex tank where all the live rocks.
The water then goes from there into the sump.
Sorry for the wiring mess. I have not thought on how to run these electrical wiring yet.
sump1.jpg

Last edited:

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a SPS tank then u may want to think about adding about 6 more bulbs minimum
U already fall short either left or right or f to b 4 inches to each side . This is compounded by a 30 x 30 inch footprint. What may seem like plenty now is true for cycling the tank and the algae cycle it will go through.
Scape looks good and u have plenty of time to chew on the lights.
I recently looked at a 60 cube ( too tall 4 me ) and one seam had bubbles in it .
This seems to be consistent with their tanks now which is kinda sad .

OP
OP
ifarmer

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing is my light is an 8 bulbs light. If needed it be, I will turn the other 6 bulbs on.
you are right. Looks like most marineland rimless tank have these bubbles issues.
The thing is we do not know the seamson these marineland have bubbles or not until you fill the tank with water. (by that time, you are already owned the tank).

If this is a SPS tank then u may want to think about adding about 6 more bulbs minimum
U already fall short either left or right or f to b 4 inches to each side . This is compounded by a 30 x 30 inch footprint. What may seem like plenty now is true for cycling the tank and the algae cycle it will go through.
Scape looks good and u have plenty of time to chew on the lights.
I recently looked at a 60 cube ( too tall 4 me ) and one seam had bubbles in it .
This seems to be consistent with their tanks now which is kinda sad .

Last edited:

w.gurney77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on more light. I'm running almost 600 watts over my 93 cube, a combination of halides and T5s. Sps are growing well.

Have the micro bubbles gone away completely yet?

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing is my light is an 8 bulbs light. If needed it be, I will turn the other 6 bulbs on.
you are right. Looks like most marineland rimless tank have these bubbles issues.
The thing is we do not know the seamson these marineland have bubbles or not until you fill the tank with water. (by that time, you are already owned the tank).

That tank I looked at wasn't even wet and I saw the bubbles in the seams . Yah , I kinda thought u knew 2 bulbs being plenty wasn't going to cut it . U got me on that one .LOL . My Buddy is going to light the same size tank with a 400 radium n 16 3 watt leds . I am still in planning stages of a smaller build and no matter how I look at it I am going to be buying bulbs yearly . I saw a recent post on a tank where the seam had a hairline split between the corner joint panes.
U could clearly see the gap in the panes . The amount of pressure we create with flow in tanks is amazing .It does raise some concerns with rimless tanks . I guess they just don't make them like they used to, as with anything else . :sad:

Nomadic1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles. Marineland products are indeed garbage...I've looked at many of their frameless tanks at the LFS, and, the silicone jobs are atrocious.

OP
OP
ifarmer

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some updates.

First, just wanted to share with some of you on the Marineland tank silicon issues after 6-7 weeks after I setup the tank. I was very nervous when i was trying to setup this tank but got some encouragement from some Reef2Reef members saying that the bubbles will go away over times. They have yet gone away but as you can see, there is very little left. Thank you for those that gave me those piece of encouragement. Getta love reef2reef.
So here we go.

left_beforeafter.JPG

right_beforeafter.JPG

Last edited:

w.gurney77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still a few but they are slowly going away, right?
I still have nightmares of tank failures even though the bubbles in my tank have gone away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ifarmer

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now times for full tank display updates.
My phone camera does not do very well when trying to zoom in for the closer look on the coral, so hopefully next time I will have some closer shots of the corals. enjoy

ftd1.JPG

ftd2.JPG

OP
OP
ifarmer

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still a few but they are slowly going away, right?
I still have nightmares of tank failures even though the bubbles in my tank have gone away.

this is my first experience on tank with silicon issues. I hope that they completely go away. all I can do is hope.
But I have to say this, after seeing them almost completely go away, I now no longer pay attention to them anymore, which is good

jake2045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you running a over flow on this tank? Glad to see the bubble are getting better as I have been dreaming about setting this tank up.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From what I understand is the strength of a tank comes from the silicon between the glass right where those bubbles are. Water should not be there period.
I did think this was a big deal but this is out of hand with Marineland and their bad tanks. They need a recall, I wasn't to mad when I thought I had a defective tank but to see so many now.
I kind of wish now I would have pushed for my money back even with mine being drilled.
Such nice looking tanks too but people should be warned so no more of these tanks are sold.

OP
OP
ifarmer

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do not think the bubbles has any water in it. when the tank is filled with water, it stretch out the tank and the silicon.
man, this was off of my head for the last 5-6 weeks. after reading your post minutes ago and now it's coming back to my head again. The more I think about it, it makes me want to get another tank (not marineland any more).
I have to say that these marineland tank are nice and clear. their glass is only 3/8" so it's very clear, no starphire needed. Most rimless manufacture makes rimless tank with at least 1/2" thick which can make the tank to become very greenish if you do not go with starphire glass
Well, let's hope for the best.

Last edited:

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish you luck. Hope those bubbles will eventually disappear.

CORAL JUNKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the exact same tank , bubbles and all . I've had mine set up for about 8 months now with no issues but I definitely understand the nervousness. Good luck and tank looks great . Here's a few pic of mine . Not to sure about my rock wall . Lol

Attachments

• 1427246394811.jpg
    1427246394811.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 456
  • 1427246493358.jpg
    1427246493358.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 401

tbdh20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update.

The purple tang is awesome, nice choice.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back