Ignitus anthias

Taylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased 3 ignitus anthias from LA. It has been a complete failure. I underestimated how difficult it could be. First they were extremely flighty and banged themselves up in the drip box. Then they wouldn't eat for days. The first one died on day 4. Now I look at this girl in the photo. If this an infection? Burn from a heater? It's on both sides and on the tail. I just now caught it because I was keeping my distance and letting them adjust and they always hide. (In QT) I dosed furan this morning but I think she is a goner. They are lesion with lifting scales and her body is shrunken there. I can't see the other female. I will probly push her out of hiding to check her.

IMG_20180424_130410.jpg

IMG_20180424_130409.jpg

IMG_20180424_130405.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an infection. I would treat her immediately with gram negative antibiotics and honestly could be brook in which case you need formalin or chloraquine. They can be tricky buggers. Sorry for your frustration. I got 4 once from DD a long time back and they came with Brook, I confirmed with microscope and I saved 2 or the four. First died in hours, second over next day. Others went on to live a long while. Good luck.

I personally treat with formalin, but many people do not like using it. you can use acriflavin I believe with success too.

OP
OP
T

Taylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know brook could be so aggressive. I think I'll disturb the other girl in hiding and see what she looks like. And I misspoke on the furan, I used kanoplex. I came upon a forum about gram negative Trifecta, kanoplex, metro please and furan. I have two of those.

OP
OP
T

Taylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the other girl. Not as bad but it's bad and depressing. I dosed kanoplex, then metro, then fritz quick cure which contains a dosage of formalin as I understand but they wouldn't survive a pure dip I'll guess, plus I don't have 37% formalin.

IMG_20180424_180041.jpg

OP
OP
T

Taylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to add after reading through a dozen or so forums it seems anthias from the suppliers have this happen commenly, and it may actually be uronema (sp).

OP
OP
T

Taylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish pictured first was alive 2 hours ago and dead just now. The third, second pictured is rapid gilling, non observant. Went ahead and did 25% water change. Meds maybe to potent but I'm not thinking this is going to end well. I might add there are 2 green chromis in there that are active and feeding and sympton free through all of this. If I do loose the third, I am doing a complete quarentine reboot.

All I wanted to do is replace my lyretail trio with a trip that in the experience of many reefers behave with one another better. I have one lyretail that is some what under weight, and I can only attribute it to bullying from the other two. But I don't like killing fish so I will probably not try anthias again. My reefing schedule is not accommodating to the anthias care needs.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back