Ignorance, laziness, or just a bigger issue with terrible naming?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This made me laugh today @i cant think @ISpeakForTheSeas @lion king @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal maybe this will make you laugh too.

Looks like a certain well known marine retail store has restored its online page and come up with this. Underneath batfish you will see what appears to be Ogcocephalus corniger. Which is a benthic predator often known as a batfish.
Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 2.03.58 PM.png

However if you press on that section only one fish comes up is Platax orbicularis. Which is a free swimming fish that is most commonly known as a spdefish as an adult but is unfortunately also known as a batfish in their juvenile forms. Yes it looks like a rotting banana not a bat but thats what someone called it. And if you've been to the Georgia Aquarium you've seen what they become. Giant ugly silver discs. Sorry @dodojojo but its true.

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 2.04.41 PM.png

Yes, these are both fish, shoot they are even both ray-finned fish from the same class. But then almost all of our fish are ray finned fish. Angler fish and tangs are both ray-finned fish. Eels, and gobies, and angelfish, and that catfish that swim up the urethra are all ray-finned fish. That does not mean you can all toss them together because their names are similar....

Anyway I'm off to the country barn to see if I can get myself a seahorse.

dodojojo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, this is why I work with the jellies! My nomenclature is complicated for various other reasons and I like to stay far away from the fish nomenclature arguments, thank you very much.
As for Ocean Voyager, the stunners are the megafauna. If you want pretty smaller sized fish, walk through literally any other gallery :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This made me laugh today
Blasphemy!
“Giant ugly silver discs. “

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 2.04.41 PM.png
One of the fastest growing fish I have ever kept was a “Spadefish.” He was an interactive fish who I fed goldfish too when he got BIG, after less than 6 months in my tank. He was tiny (fifty cent piece?) when I got him and I took him back to the wholesaler at a year because he was too big for my tank. Watching the fish beg for food and attention made it a lot more beautiful than many prettier fish that would hide or fight with tank mates.
Anyway I'm off to the country barn to see if I can get myself a seahorse.
I like B- horses, they are a grade better than a seahorse
Horse Busby GIF by TLC

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Taxonomic classification is an artificial endeavor that challenges many!

Thanks for sharing :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::cool:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does not mean you can all toss them together because their names are similar....
Haha, honestly, I’m assuming it’s a marketing thing rather than a nomenclature thing (i.e. they’re likely assuming that people just know/care about the common names and don’t care or know about the scientific names), but it does crack me up when I see stuff like this.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blasphemy!

One of the fastest growing fish I have ever kept was a “Spadefish.” He was an interactive fish who I fed goldfish too when he got BIG, after less than 6 months in my tank. He was tiny (fifty cent piece?) when I got him and I took him back to the wholesaler at a year because he was too big for my tank. Watching the fish beg for food and attention made it a lot more beautiful than many prettier fish that would hide or fight with tank mates.

I like B- horses, they are a grade better than a seahorse
Horse Busby GIF by TLC

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Taxonomic classification is an artificial endeavor that challenges many!

Thanks for sharing :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::cool:
I’ll say the pinatus “batfish” is very very pretty as a juvenile but like the rest it very quickly becomes massive and much less pretty.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, these are both fish, shoot they are even both ray-finned fish from the same class. But then almost all of our fish are ray finned fish. Angler fish and tangs are both ray-finned fish. Eels, and gobies, and angelfish, and that catfish that swim up the urethra are all ray-finned fish. That does not mean you can all toss them together because their names are similar....
Tang police should probably be on this.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 39.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back