IKEA desk as a tank stand?

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Do you guys think this IKEA office desk will support a 15 gallon nano? Steel frame and looks sturdy. I'd have to visit a store to get the actual weight rating. What's everyone's experience with desks that double as a tank stand?

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says max load 110lbs so by their standards, no. I'd also lean no given the frame, but see how it acts if you sit on it. A 15 gal is going to be 150lbs or better.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi guys,

Do you guys think this IKEA office desk will support a 15 gallon nano? Steel frame and looks sturdy. I'd have to visit a store to get the actual weight rating. What's everyone's experience with desks that double as a tank stand?

The type of legs suggests. . DO NOT do it. I prefer if non aquarium stand, one with four legs for weight distribution.
This style says " I will kink in the center OR rock"

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

No. It has some silly crank... that right there makes me not want to put a tank on it.

If you have a Restore/Habitat for humanity. You can go find a very sturdy old desk or nightstand made of real wood for cheap and give it some primer and furniture paint and new hardware. It will look better too.

Bonus is it won't be particleboard which basically swells and fails when wet.

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of putting an aquarium on this but with a 20 gallon. It started sagging bad after a couple weeks and I had to move it. If you look closely on the website under the "Measurements" Tab, you will see that the max load is 115 lb. One of those tanks can weigh around 150 lbs. I would recommend getting an aquarium rated stand, like this one

Depending on the measurements of the tank, this stand would def work:

OP
OP
K

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The type of legs suggests. . DO NOT do it. I prefer if non aquarium stand, one with four legs for weight distribution.
This style says " I will kink in the center OR rock"

Rock back and forth, or side to side?

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
most of the points listed above are true, as well as the fact that most ikea desks/other furniture are made of material that degrade rapidly when wet which, let's be honest, happens frequently around a tank.

Description states the one you desired to be made of particle board. even with 4 legs that will eventually degrade to the point of falling apart

OP
OP
K

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, not looking good. Space constraints are kind of forcing me to use regular furniture to double as a stand. That, and because I'm planning to get a 15 gallon Waterbox and they don't make a stand for that particular tank.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cutting corners is best left to freshwater folk. Do it right or don't do it at all.

JPCommenter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat as KK (original poster).. trying to figure out the stand situation. I'm not trying to hijack the thread but I'm also looking at a 15 gallon and the stand is up in the air because most are incredibly expense. Need something reliable. I live in a condo/apt and have others living below, so I'm terrified that I could have a crash.

OP
OP
K

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat as KK (original poster).. trying to figure out the stand situation. I'm not trying to hijack the thread but I'm also looking at a 15 gallon and the stand is up in the air because most are incredibly expense. Need something reliable. I live in a condo/apt and have others living below, so I'm terrified that I could have a crash.

Jump in any time!

For me, it's a space constraint. I need a desk, and I would like if that desk is able to support a 15 gallon tank. The IKEA desk I was eyeing does have metal support legs, which leads me to wonder that it might be strong enough. The particle board surface part, I'm not too worried about. I know it may last cosmetically for too long. This isn't a forever solution. I can replace the surface if needed. I just wanted to know if the legs will hold up.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The legs and particle board aren't necessarily the issue, it's the frame under the particle board. It's just a narrow beam down the middle.

Walmarts, around here at least, carry a collapsible metal stand for a 24"x12" aquarium footprint for around $40. Not bad for a temporary solution if cinderblocks or buying an old, quality piece of furniture is out.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if you want to be on the cheaper side, just skin something with cinder blocks and put pressure treated plywood on top with a foam board on top of that then the tank.

I had custom stands welded and they were cheap. Might want to ask some welders what they'd charge, for that size tank they probably have leftover material the could make it from.

470, 150 frag and my 12 tank QT system all had custom welded stands, maybe a few $$$ each for big stands.

I just spray-painted them, never had issues with rust... powder coating will add a lot to the cost.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aside from what what the others have said (which I agree with as well) you likely want something with backing or you'll end up with unsightly wires to look at

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back