Ikea Nightstand for IM Nuvo 10?

reefsean03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used the Malm ikea nightstand for a 10 gallon tank, specifically the IM 10g?

Also if you have used it did you make any modifications to add structural support?

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an ikea nightstand for a 14g biocube. I disassembled it and glued all the joints using PL 8x. I then cut a 1/2in plywood to match the top to distribute weight on all four corners and that thing is solid. You could use it as a wrecking ball.

The weakest points on these are the fasteners which the glue remedies and the front and rear span which the plywood remedies.

OP
OP
R

reefsean03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an ikea nightstand for a 14g biocube. I disassembled it and glued all the joints using PL 8x. I then cut a 1/2in plywood to match the top to distribute weight on all four corners and that thing is solid. You could use it as a wrecking ball.

The weakest points on these are the fasteners which the glue remedies and the front and rear span which the plywood remedies.

I see. I do have gorilla wood glue but not the PL 8x.

Do you have any pictures to show what you did?

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend the PL 8x over just wood glue, it is ridiculously strong. If you ever take a hammer to it the wood will fail before the joints ever do.

I don't have the 14 anymore but I still have the nightstand, unfortunately a picture won't show much as all I did was glue the joints together. The plywood I cut to fit the top I didn't glue down so when I finally moved the tank the night stand could still be used as it doesn't look like anything was done to it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back