IM 100G Sump Help

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my tank set up on the stand and going to be doing the plumbing within the next day or so. Can someone help me with how to outfit my sump? It comes with fiber mechanical filtration balls. I have a Protein skimmer for it already. What else should I put in there? There is a spot for a Refugium. Should I put any filter socks, carbon, marinepure, ? I am lost with what I need in there besides the skimmer. Thank you

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Just got my tank set up on the stand and going to be doing the plumbing within the next day or so. Can someone help me with how to outfit my sump? It comes with fiber mechanical filtration balls. I have a Protein skimmer for it already. What else should I put in there? There is a spot for a Refugium. Should I put any filter socks, carbon, marinepure, ? I am lost with what I need in there besides the skimmer. Thank you

I run a UV, Skimmer, Media Reactor, some Chaeto and bio balls, Carbon and than my return pump. Has worked great for me for years

OP
OP
SaltlifeHokie

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the timeframe for some of this? I plan on filling the tank and cycling within week. Should I start the skimmer once I add the fish? Wait on the carbon once algae and diatoms break out? Start running this stuff once I put water in the tank?

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Whats the timeframe for some of this? I plan on filling the tank and cycling within week. Should I start the skimmer once I add the fish? Wait on the carbon once algae and diatoms break out? Start running this stuff once I put water in the tank?
You’re going to get 100 different answers from 100 different ppl. Get your tank cycled. Start with 1 fish do not add coral until it’s a few months established. You can run carbon and skimmer right away in my opinion and a UV for water clarity

OP
OP
SaltlifeHokie

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I keep these little white fiber cotton ball media things in the sump or trade them out for something different?

OP
OP
SaltlifeHokie

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_6504.png
    IMG_6504.png
    342.1 KB · Views: 23

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this have filter socks or is it just using those balls? I think if the tank is overflowing directly into those media balls it's going to get really gross with fish poop pretty quickly. I'd rather have it flowing into filter socks. Though I think a lot of people also like it to flow into nothing and let the skimmer deal with everything.

OP
OP
SaltlifeHokie

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this have filter socks or is it just using those balls? I think if the tank is overflowing directly into those media balls it's going to get really gross with fish poop pretty quickly. I'd rather have it flowing into filter socks. Though I think a lot of people also like it to flow into nothing and let the skimmer deal with everything.
Just those balls but you can switch it out and there is3 sections for socks instead

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back