IM 15 gallon ATO reservoir

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure out the best way to keep the tubing on the bottom of the reservoir. I had it taped to the bottom with double sided 3m tape but recently switched to the hydrofill pump which uses a thicker tube and now it won't stay. Also does anyone else have trouble with hair and dust getting in the reservoir or do I just need to clean more?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump usually weighs the tubing down (at least mine does). I haven't noticed a big issue with dust and/or hair - but I'm also running through the entire volume every week.

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
suction cup on the bottom of the container/pump?
My ATO pump has a suction cup attachment to keep the pump in place.
I am using the innovative marine pump which isn't submersible. Doesn't come with a tube either. I think I found some suction cups with zip ties that will work. I just didn't know if I was missing something. Guess I should've went with a different pump

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the innovative marine pump which isn't submersible. Doesn't come with a tube either. I think I found some suction cups with zip ties that will work. I just didn't know if I was missing something. Guess I should've went with a different pump
For my AWC soft tubing I’m using a magnetic tube holder to put it where I want it. All depends on how thick your tubing is though. I’m not a fan of suction cups; they all eventually fail.

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my AWC soft tubing I’m using a magnetic tube holder to put it where I want it. All depends on how thick your tubing is though. I’m not a fan of suction cups; they all eventually fail.
That's what I was looking for but didn't want to order something that wasn't going to fit. It's 1/4 inch tubing. Where did you get yours? They suggested clamps for the tubing also but couldn't find any small enough. Even emailed them about it. They just said they are hard to find and suggested zip ties

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also does anyone else have trouble with hair and dust getting in the reservoir or do I just need to clean more?

I have two cats and LVP flooring...so yeah...it gets stuff in it. I rinse/wash it about every two or three months. I let it get low instead of filling it every week.....then I pick it up and take it to the sink (Didn't realize how heavy it was when I purchassed it), rinse it with tap water, wipe/brush it down with some vinegar, rinse it again with tapwater, the put it back in place and refill with RO/DO.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a smaller reservoir that uses an external pump with 1/4 " tubing. I just zip tie a piece of rock rubble to the end of the hose in the reservoir to hold it down on the bottom.
No problem with dirt or hair but mine is in the cabinet under the tank. Maybe you could fab a cover out of acrylic? It would help keep crap out and reduce evaporation.

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two cats and LVP flooring...so yeah...it gets stuff in it. I rinse/wash it about every two or three months. I let it get low instead of filling it every week.....then I pick it up and take it to the sink (Didn't realize how heavy it was when I purchassed it), rinse it with tap water, wipe/brush it down with some vinegar, rinse it again with tapwater, the put it back in place and refill with RO/DO.
I have a cat and hardwood floors. It is ridiculously heavy. Last time I used the pump to suck all the water out and then just reached in with a paper towel. I find it really hard to get in there to clean it even with the drawer out.

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a smaller reservoir that uses an external pump with 1/4 " tubing. I just zip tie a piece of rock rubble to the end of the hose in the reservoir to hold it down on the bottom.
No problem with dirt or hair but mine is in the cabinet under the tank. Maybe you could fab a cover out of acrylic? It would help keep crap out and reduce evaporation.
I was wondering if I could do that. I have some extra marco rock I didn't use. Could I just use that?

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was looking for but didn't want to order something that wasn't going to fit. It's 1/4 inch tubing. Where did you get yours? They suggested clamps for the tubing also but couldn't find any small enough. Even emailed them about it. They just said they are hard to find and suggested zip ties
I’m just using this with my 1/4” (OD!) DOS tubing. They also make probe holders which would work for larger OD tubing. But, a zip tie to a piece of heavy rock will get the job done too, for free! I didn’t actually buy it for this but I had it on hand and it works great.

As for clamping the tube to the pump you could possibly go with metal since it’s external and that would expand your options. But otherwise yeah, you’re going to have a hard time finding plastic clamp options that small. So I’d just go with a zip tie assuming it’s already a strong pressure fit.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I could do that. I have some extra marco rock I didn't use. Could I just use that?
Sure. Even a frag plug will work. Anything with enough weight to hold it on the bottom. It's what I do with my ground probes and the probes for my temp controllers too.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back