IM 25 build thread of misery

Stef777

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2025
Messages
32
Reaction score
15
Location
KS
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy! I wanted to go ahead and make this thread for my journey building my tank stand and system. I have a lot on the list, but as a broke college student, I am... well... broke!
I will be over time updating this thread to update my progress and experiences. It has been one hell of an experience up to this point already!
The dresser my tank is currently sitting on is slanted and starting to buckle under the weight, so a new solution is in order.

I am taking inspiration from a youtube video I saw (here), but I plan on beefing it up some, and making it look all fancy and clean. I will keep myself accountable by posting on here. Wish me luck!
 
Congrats & good luck to you and when things get miserable - and they will - this site is and has been an absolute savior is getting past many challenges 🙂
Look fwd to seeing your build out as time goes by!
 
Congrats & good luck to you and when things get miserable - and they will - this site is and has been an absolute savior is getting past many challenges 🙂
Look fwd to seeing your build out as time goes by!
I have had this tank for about half a year now, and have already had countless problems. Right now its the dinos that completely took over my tank. I have a long way to go, but am excited for the road ahead
 
Following!
 
After plenty of research, it seems to be a better idea to simply build my own. I will use plywood to cover the faces, or something to make it lok good. Additionally, I plan on building a cabinet out of the front face for utility. Thoughts?
1756819092989.png
 
After plenty of research, it seems to be a better idea to simply build my own. I will use plywood to cover the faces, or something to make it lok good. Additionally, I plan on building a cabinet out of the front face for utility. Thoughts?
1756819092989.png
Fellow IM 25 tanker. I would over build it... Extend the inside corner 2x4s all the way to the top and bottom (why not?) and do some cross bracing on the sides and the back. Plywood over the top. Make sure it is dead level and square. I have found that I like my tank to be higher rather than lower. It makes maintenance easier and improves visibility. So, I might make it a bit taller.

If your current "stand" is starting to buckle, I would act fast...
 
Fellow IM 25 tanker. I would over build it... Extend the inside corner 2x4s all the way to the top and bottom (why not?) and do some cross bracing on the sides and the back. Plywood over the top. Make sure it is dead level and square. I have found that I like my tank to be higher rather than lower. It makes maintenance easier and improves visibility. So, I might make it a bit taller.

If your current "stand" is starting to buckle, I would act fast...
I have been working with the legend himself, rocketengineer. He advised that as is, it is overbuilt and advised I opted for 1x3 instead. I have been getting things prepped and ready, so hopefully will begin building sooner than later.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 32
I have been working with the legend himself, rocketengineer. He advised that as is, it is overbuilt and advised I opted for 1x3 instead. I have been getting things prepped and ready, so hopefully will begin building sooner than later.
Have you estimated the weight of the total build of your tank?
 
These is this stand on wayfair for like $100 dollars that works. 40 Gallon Aquarium Stand With Charging Station Color: Black. In case you have not built it already. You do have to assemble it but it should work perfectly.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new