Im a noobie, and ready to get started as ahobby.

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK folks, I'm new at this and just purchased a 110g tank on a stand. I have a sump/pump and overflow/ plus two power heads on each side of the tank. I added live sand/ salt and have tank running for three days. My understanding is i need a skimmer / coral lighting and more live rock. i only have 1/ 10lb live rock in tank now. I will have to add live rock to my sump tank and my and fish tank. So this is what i plan on doing with this tank and need the tank to be as maintenance free as possible. I plan on adding live coral mostly soft and eventually some hard. No more than 4 small fish(clowns and maybe 2 tangs . what do you recommend for a newbie, that loves color in this 110 gallon tank?size of tank is 4ft long, 18 inches wide and 28 inches tall. what is a reasonable easy skimmer to use , and i am planning on investing in LED lighting for this tank. $$$$ hopefully getting out as reasonable as possible. i need strong low cost (energy *** lighting for my coral to be beautiful colors. ) any help will be greatly appreciated. were do i go from here? I want color . :neutral: btw , I'm not RICH , but I am addicted NOW

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I missed your thread.... I would look in the used drygood forums for a reef octopus or swc 160 etc... As for Rock you can get cheap bulk reef supply dry rock or Marco rock, not only is it cheap it's pest free...;)
Fish clowns are easy for tangs maybe a yellow and a kole.... Hth any more questions please feel free to ask...;)

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first, get all of your live rock (base, dry, whatever you prefer) first. Add that to your tanks, and let it cycle. That will take a few weeks to a little over a month. You don't need any lighting or anything to cycle your rocks (hitting it with light while cycling will only grow algae, which I assume you don't want). While you are cycling your tank you can start getting equipment, for least maintenance you'll need a good skimmer, a reactor of some sort (I recommend brs reactor), a RO DI (i got mine from ebay, very important), a timer for lights, and an ato. The only maintenance required with this equipment will be change media every week to two weeks, check ato (you'll get the timing figured out), weekly to biweekly water changes (use your reactor output to make easier), and empty skimmer cup. Oh yeah and feed your animals.

I am about to list a reef octopus extreme 200 protein skimmer for $200 plus shipping if interested send me a pm. I've used it for about a year and it is a beast. I also have a via aqua poly reactor I'll throw in for $25.

Last edited:

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second checking out the used drygoods forum, I also have a Reef Octopus skimmer listed in there so if you are interested shoot me a pm and I'll hook you up with the link.

I recommend buying dry rock, sure it is white but it will be full of life in no time flat, and it is pest free!

shimin

noob reefer on a mission
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and as a noob myself I just went through everything your about to so ill give you some advice let it cycle ,buy all your test kits ,research research and let it cycle some more .its gonna cost alot of cash to get up and running but when you see your tank come come to life it will be worth it .good luck and you found a great forum this site rocks really nice peeps

bluepit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most important thing in this recipe is patience.Then you go from there.

fish&corals

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the hobby 1st and foremost .. def get yourself more rock your going to need it .. you should be around 1lbs of live rock per gallon .. take it slow do rush anything in this hobby .. if you rush the colors or anything your tank can go sideways on you really fast then you lose everything in 1 shot .. just take your time . in about 6 months you will start noticing new things in your system .. dont use anything thing that says quick cycle .. let it cycle out in 4 to 6 weeks .. also a tip before you cycle get rock in there cause if you keep adding while the cycle is going its just going to keep recycling and thats no fun ..

dry good forums are great .. make sure you do alot of research . read about everything you can .. if you have any questions you can ask there are alot of guys/gals on this site that will help you with any questions you have ..

LittleDabOSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R! You have already been given some great advice, two of the most important being plenty of live rock and patience. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby, if you can remember that above all else as you go through this you'll do just fine. ;) Research, research and then when you think your done research some more. This forum is great for new people ( like both you and I ) and you can find alot of info not only by asking but by using the search function as well.

Best of luck to you! :)

Lee's Fragtacular Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R, just giving you a warning reefing is addictive! I am also somewhat new to reefing and i learned from mistakes. You have to, have to, have to, have plenty of live rock, it's sooo important! As for a skimmer, i agree with the reef octopus, i have one and i love it. You said you wanted LED's for LPS, personally I like T5's better (I have one tank with a metal halide, one with LED's and one with T5's). They give great color, the corals absolutely love them (especially LPS (like chalices)), and T5's are cheaper then LED's. Also, i would not buy the expensive corals in your dreams until your certain your tank is ready (this was one of my mistakes). I'd buy some really cheap frags, of lets say a chalice. If you go out and buy a My Miami or some other expensive but colorful chalice, and it dies' your out about $500! I'd start by buying a coral for like $50, and see how that does. Then you should slowly work your way up to the big time corals. I recommend starting with some sort of LPS coral, like either a favia or chalice. Now for fish, clownfish are great! Tangs could be really good or really bad. I have a tang that eats all of my Acans whips, but tangs do provide a lot of food for your corals. It all depends on what kind of risk your willing to take (I still recommend tangs just don't become attached to one right away incase it starts eating your corals, then you could get rid of it with no worries). Same thing with fish, start with a cheap but cool fish you like and if it lives for a awhilethen get the fish of your dreams.

If you have any question PM me. Best of luck,
Lenny

Last edited:

Lee's Fragtacular Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh btw as far as LED's go, i find that some corals love them, and some don't. But LED's are still new to me and i am still in the testing stage. Also, in the long run LED's are cheaper, you don't have to replace the bulbs.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back