I'm an idiot and hopefully I didnt kill my tang

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple tang that I've had in QT for about 6 weeks and I was slowly raising my salinity to match the DT before I switch him over in a few days. I have a cup that I have had sitting beside the QT that I have been putting uneaten scraps of nori and I think I dumped a little skimmate in there. Well last night I go to feed the tang some mysis before bed and I set the food cup down and tested the salinity of the tank first. I then grabbed the cup with all of the disgusting crud and accidentally dumped it into the tank instead of the food. The tank instantly got so cloudy that I couldn't see to the back of the 29g tank.
I then went into a panic mode and a stuck a spare pump with sponge filter into the tank to hopefully collect a lot of the particles. I grabbed a heater and was going to start heating my mixing station water to do a large water change, but unfortunately I am near the ends of my 2 week cycle of having water in mixing station so there was probably only 5 gallons of mixed saltwater. I then added 25 gallons of rodi water to the salt container and started mixing up new salt water, but I know it takes several hours to completely mix the salt in and heat up.
I checked the ammonia several times over the next several hours and it always showed at 0 (well actually .25 but it's an API test I treat that as 0). The tang is still acting fine so I eventually give up and go to bed. I wake up about 4 hours later to go and do the large water change and now the tang is acting unusual. He is still swimming around but he seems like he is listless, also he doesn't hide when I approach the tank like he always did before. I checked the ammonia and it was still 0 (well .25) Now he also has a small white dot on the edge of his fin. He went through a full 30 days of copper so I assume the dot is just lympho since in theory it can't be a parasite.
I had the heater set too high in my mixing station and that water is close to 85 degrees, and I have to hurry so I can leave for work, so I quickly acclimated the tang to my display tank, the qt salinity was only .002 too low so I don't think the quick acclimation will be a huge deal. Hopefully when I get home I don't find that I killed my purple tang through my carelessness.
Thanks for anyone who reads all of this, it's been a long night and morning and I had to get this off my chest. Wish me luck that I don't find a dead tang when I get home from work. Being a purple tang they're pretty hardy so I am hopeful.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Purple tang will be fine. Please keep us updated. If you get home and the fish is swimming fine, but looks to have lost some color, it is normal when moving to a new tank.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have to hurry so I can leave for work, so I quickly acclimated the tang to my display tank, the qt salinity was only .002 too l
I was floating a wrasse and acclimating the wrasse to my tank, open bag in the water... The store I got him from is 1.020. My water is 1.026. I know not supposed to happen right? That's a week + of salinity raise right there. I turn my back and the wrasse jumped out of the bag into the tank.

He lived for 3 months until he found a gap in my cover. I found him next morning under my protein skimmer. It's difficult working a cover around HOB equipment. Basically, If tang is healthy, you got no issue.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not an idiot, you're human. Hope all is good.

Keep reefing.
The fact that I was half asleep and have been feeling under the weather the last few days didn't help with my mental state to make sure I didn't do something stupid like dump a cup of rotten food in my tank. I'm honestly surprised I never saw a spike in ammonia. The pump that I put in the tank with the sponge was way too strong for that size tank and I'm wondering if the tang was exhausted and stressed from possible fighting too strong of a current for several hours. Hence the lympho (hopefully) and the strange behavior.

Looking back at it I probably made things worse with the extra pump, plus why would I not throw the old nori away after I took it out of the tank.

I guess if nothing else it's a lesson to pay more attention.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was floating a wrasse and acclimating the wrasse to my tank, open bag in the water... The store I got him from is 1.020. My water is 1.026. I know not supposed to happen right? That's a week + of salinity raise right there. I turn my back and the wrasse jumped out of the bag into the tank.

He lived for 3 months until he found a gap in my cover. I found him next morning under my protein skimmer. It's difficult working a cover around HOB equipment. Basically, If tang is healthy, you got no issue.
He was eating like a pig in qt and was starting to get plump, so before my mishap he seemed perfectly fine. I'm not too worried about the quick acclimation because I already had the qt up to 1.023 and my display is at 1.025. So I raised his water salinity up .002 in 30 minutes, which isn't ideal but ultimately should be fine.... I think.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy to say that even though I am an idiot I didn't kill the tang. He was swimming around like nothing happened. Once I got near the tank he darted back into the rockwork, but came back out for food, just like he did in qt. He does have one little white spot on the edge of his dorsal fin, but assuming I kept copper at a therapeutic level for a month it can't be ich, and with it being the edge of the fin I'd guess lympho.
Thanks for everyone who was willing to read my story earlier, I just needed to vent.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that I was half asleep and have been feeling under the weather the last few days didn't help with my mental state to make sure I didn't do something stupid like dump a cup of rotten food in my tank. I'm honestly surprised I never saw a spike in ammonia. The pump that I put in the tank with the sponge was way too strong for that size tank and I'm wondering if the tang was exhausted and stressed from possible fighting too strong of a current for several hours. Hence the lympho (hopefully) and the strange behavior.

Looking back at it I probably made things worse with the extra pump, plus why would I not throw the old nori away after I took it out of the tank.

I guess if nothing else it's a lesson to pay more attention.
We all have those moments. I’d bet no harm no foul. Some scraps of food is probably one of the less harmful ways to mess up the water. Last time I woke up at 3am realizing I forgot to add some magnesium the night before I went to do it and wondered why mag was clouding up the water. Then realized I added alk. Thankfully all was okay for me. Wasn’t too much than my usual morning dose but I sure felt stupid.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy to say that even though I am an idiot I didn't kill the tang. He was swimming around like nothing happened. Once I got near the tank he darted back into the rockwork, but came back out for food, just like he did in qt. He does have one little white spot on the edge of his dorsal fin, but assuming I kept copper at a therapeutic level for a month it can't be ich, and with it being the edge of the fin I'd guess lympho.
Thanks for everyone who was willing to read my story earlier, I just needed to vent.
Or it could just be a scratch. You will know in a few days as fish fins and scratches heal extremely quick.

Glad the Purple Tang is good to go, I have one in my tank.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all have those moments. I’d bet no harm no foul. Some scraps of food is probably one of the less harmful ways to mess up the water. Last time I woke up at 3am realizing I forgot to add some magnesium the night before I went to do it and wondered why mag was clouding up the water. Then realized I added alk. Thankfully all was okay for me. Wasn’t too much than my usual morning dose but I sure felt stupid.
I wasn't mentally all there last night and when I saw the tank instantly turn cloudy I may have over reacted.
I probably caused more issues with my reacting to adding the rotten food than the food actually caused.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back