I'm drowning in all the lighting options

AirAngel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking around online and all the fixtures and combos have me on information overload.
I don't have the knowledge to build my own fixture.
All the info on dimmers and drivers is beyond my understanding.

I'm looking for plug and play lighting solutions.
Cost and effectiveness is a BIG issue.

I need recommendations to light my 125 plz.
PLZ answer these questions in the following order.

AND PLZ NO HIJACKS OR OFF TOPIX INFO!!

T-5 lighting:
For LPS and softcorals: What do you recommend and why.
For SPS LPS and softies: What do you recommend and why.

LED lighting:
For LPS and softcorals: What do you recommend and why.
For SPS LPS and softies: What do you recommend and why.

Thanks
Mike

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, I have used all T-5, all LED, and all Metal Hallide. Each has it's own pros and cons. I am running all LED right now, and could not be happier. I did the DIY LED's. I would recommend the same. Look at Gmoney's 180 build page. He has a mixture of T5 and LED. To me thats the perfect combo. If DIY is out of your limits, I would help you do it. It's really easy, I'm sure others on here would help as well. I'm an electronic technician and I am very good with a soldering iron. If you want to save money, it's the best way to go.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you haven't been around here all that long, so let me offer my insights... I have been reefkeeping in the nashville area for over a dozen years. had tanks longer than that. I could be considered "old School" or frankly just old. I have used EVERY type of light available except the new plasma ones. HO flourescent, Power compact, VHO, T-5, MH and Now LED. By FAR the led is my favorite. here is why:

1. you get significantly less heat transfered into the tank than ANY of the others.
2. you can make your own look with them color wise
3. use Very little electricity compared to others
4. The corals look good and I get good growth.

Each person is going to have their own feelings on it. I like that I dont have to buy new bulbs every 6 months. yea, I have burned out one or two but they are relatively cheap in that regard.

as far as you specific questions, it really depends on what you want to keep. you can keep softies under most anything, but SPS are the most light intensive ones.

SO if I were to start over, shoot for SPS. with LED's you can ALWAys turn them down.

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of my mh lights last year. Got reef filtration led. I loved the color and the warranty and price. This year I made a led refugium light. I found it confusing at first. What drivers. What leds etc found some builds asked some questions on here and got my kit. Watched some YouTube videos on soldering and did it. It was so easy I couldn't believe it.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are truly wanting to buy something plug and play to avoid the DIY aspect, tell me exactly what you are willing to spend. Gimme the budget!

OP
OP
AirAngel

AirAngel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my research, this is what I have learned.

LED is the future of lighting for most applications. The color combos and electronics make for greater flexibility.
The downside of this for ME is lack of knowledge in application for reef specifics. All the discussion on color combos, par,etc. is nice for those with experience.

For my untrained eyes at this point, I wouldn't be able to tell much difference in color,par, spectrum, and the other terms unless comparing with actual realife units side by side.
I like a finished look and do not have a canopy, although I am concerned about the glare above the tank when viewing from across the room in seated position.

I believe T5 may be the cheapest route for now but not necessarily the best for effectiveness.
I think 2 fixtures will make it easier to access the tank for work, feeding, etc.
I traded a 72" MH/PC light due to weight and the inability to even get my hand in the tank without great effort.
Also going with 2 fixtures may allow me to illuminate a portion of the tank and then addon as finance allows.

I do have 3 24" Truelumen strips (from Radonna). One is white and 2 are 50/50 . I got these knowing it wouldn't be enuff light but can sell them and regain my $.

I am a long time user of Ebay and feel I can get a plug and play unit much cheaper there. I priced an Aquaticlife light @ Critter and found the same light on Ebay for $300+ cheaper.
Even then the available bulb choices still muddy my decisions.

I currently dont believe I can spend more than $750 for entire tank lighting. I could spend more for better solutions but that would require selling a very nice rifle with sentimental value.

I maybe asking to much, but this topic has to have other newbies baffeled also.
It would be nice if perhaps the club could conduct some type of seminar for those new to the hobby.

Thanks again,

Mike

Last edited:

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your statement in Post 7 I think below is the route you may want to look into-I've no idea how close you to live as I am on the Left Coast but I too have ran all types of lights and presently am doing LEDs that are DIY-I have been for 19 months and mainly SPS but I have anything from zoas, to chalices, LPS to SPS.
It used to be that to get a unit that would really grow everything you want it had to be DIY (unless you have excess money of course) now there are a lot of units that can stand toe to toe with the DIY.
Reach out to Dwilliams and Pickupman, sounds like they can be of local help-

GL

Mike, I have used all T-5, all LED, and all Metal Hallide. Each has it's own pros and cons. I am running all LED right now, and could not be happier. I did the DIY LED's. I would recommend the same. Look at Gmoney's 180 build page. He has a mixture of T5 and LED. To me thats the perfect combo. If DIY is out of your limits, I would help you do it. It's really easy, I'm sure others on here would help as well. I'm an electronic technician and I am very good with a soldering iron. If you want to save money, it's the best way to go.

OP
OP
AirAngel

AirAngel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank as of now, 7 weeks in.
P1020092.jpg
P1020093.jpg
P1020094.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
AirAngel

AirAngel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh hell.
Sorry, probs wiith upload and I can't delete them.
This room does have natural light but not directlly.
It isnt as bright as it seems.

deleted for you.*dowtish

Last edited by a moderator:

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like you are really wanting LED's, but you dont want the messy look that a DIY can be, given you have no canopy. I can totally relate.

Last edited:

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice would be to go with a good quality T5 fixture for now and later when its in your budget move to more advance lighting. Here is a good T5 fixture assuming your tank is 72" long, AquaticLife T5 HO 2 4 6 8 12 Lamp Marine Lighting Fixtures HO 8 Lamp. An 8 bulb will do just about anything you want and a 12 bulb would do great on SPS. I had the 8 bulb and had inverts, sps and lps with luck.

Having said that, if dwilliams87, who is an Ele Tech, is willing to build you something that fits your budget you may want to consider his offer. I have seen some DOY LED's that have bleached out a tank in a short amount of time. Of course I'd like to see someones tank and the color of the corals and growth. I'm sure his tank looks great and you'd be very happy. The LED, T5 combo would be a great way to go.

Do remember this. The market is flooded with light choices. Don't buy a fixture you think is high end because it fits your budget. In the electronic world I'd look at reviews and pictures of peoples tanks. You get what you pay for. IMO for LED's its better to go with high end corals vs a cheep knock off.

Personally I went with the Vertex Illuminia. I had a friend that went with a DIY but went back to his MH within the year because the DIY LED's bleached out his corals and no growth. Another friend had the eco tech and was not happy with the growth and color. Personally I'm pleased with the growth color. I too have done lots of research and would be willing to talk with you if you've got any questions. PM me for my phone number.

Here is a link to my thread that shows photos of my tank and also another awesome SPS tank, rossco.
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/ge...975-awesome-small-polyp-stony-branch-out.html

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And nice looking tank. Love the aqua scape. IMO, I'd point your power heads toward the middle or top. You want them to move water pulse push all the bad stuff to the overflows without stirring up the sand. GREAT START.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the aquaticlife fixtures. And I have a 6 bulb, and grow SPS just fine. You should come by and check out my tank, and I bet afterwards you will want a T5 fixture.

kemper6120

Kayler Kemper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like you are really wanting LED's, but you dont want the messy look that a DIY can be, given you have no canopy. I can totally relate.

Thats basically the exact same reason why im thinking of going LED thats plug and play.. Cant stand the way all the wires look going everywhere. But i like the price of the DIY Leds lol

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make a DIY light system look really good if you are willing to spend the extra money to do so. All of my potentiometers are mounted in a light box on my wall. All the wires are wrapped along the back of the fixture and down as one strand. You can add black acrylic to the outside to hide the lights and u bracket. You are more than welcome to come see my light rig if you want. I have a led setup on my frag tank with 36 Royal Blues and 24 Cool Whites. I have 4 dimmers 2 control the blue, 2 control the white. I like this in my frag tank because I have the option to turn one side down for chalices, acans, etc. I want to add some UV and Violet LEDs as well. That's one of the nicest things. All I have to do is buy the LEDs and drivers and add them where I want. On my rig, I have a 150w metal halide right in the middle. I don't use it right now. But if I want to I can. DIY offers options you don't get with fixtures. The best part of the whole rig is not counting the used MH in the middle that was $100, I have about $300 in it, including everything. That's lights, wire, u channel, drivers, pots, and in my case a PVC stand that was painted black. The reason I used that was, I can unhook the LEDs with the quick disconnects, unchain the light rig, and I can transport it in 3 sections for frag swaps. My point in this is options. Good luck in your process.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back