IM EXTERNAL OVERFLOW as algae turf scrubber?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nickng
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

nickng

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 20, 2023
Messages
802
Reaction score
543
Location
Boston
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The external overflow box in the Innovative Marine aquariums are all made out of glass. I wonder if anyone ever thought of putting a small light there and used the walls of the overflow box to grow algae? Ie turning that area into a sort of algae scrubber.
Also since the water flowing thru the overflow box goes entirely into the filter socks, any algae that detach will be caught in the filter.
 
I would still want a removable panel inside, plastic mesh is great for that. It's a good idea though!
 
I'm going to give it a try. Since my back overflow is exposed to sunlight from a window, it maybe good enough to hang a mesh in there to grow some turf algae
 
I'm going to give it a try. Since my back overflow is exposed to sunlight from a window, it maybe good enough to hang a mesh in there to grow some turf algae
rough up the mesh first with 60 or 80 grit sandpaper (rinse off plastic dust afterwards), I've found that helps in getting algae to take hold.
 
It will probably work, but you are increasing the chances of flooding your house.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new