I'm guessing this is how it starts.....

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to trim back some corals for the first time yesterday. Figured I would throw them on frag plugs and see how they do.

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First frags ever? How's that possible :)
I've created frags with my arm, vacuum tube, rock, fish nets, tank cover.... ;Blackeye

Never stuck them on a frag plug before.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've created frags with my arm, vacuum tube, rock, fish nets, tank cover.... ;Blackeye

Never stuck them on a frag plug before.

LOL.

From the picture of the zoa - nice job. That's the hardest fragging experience I've ever done. Scrape, cut, tear, all while trying to make sure they don't squirt into your eyes, all along trying to remember not to bite your finger accidentally.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL.

From the picture of the zoa - nice job. That's the hardest fragging experience I've ever done. Scrape, cut, tear, all while trying to make sure they don't squirt into your eyes, all along trying to remember not to bite your finger accidentally.
Thanks! Fortunately, I didn't have to do any scraping. It had grown off the edge of the rock onto the sand so it needed to be cut back. All I had to do was get the polyps to close up and cut where it was hanging over the edge of the rock. Once that was done, cutting it into smaller pieces was easy.
I will admit I was very nervous about the toxins. ;Doctor

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up a frag tank and start growing and selling frags... I mean, trade them in at the LFS for credit?
I doubt I'll get that heavy into it. I suspect it will be a year or two before I have enough variety to make a dedicated setup worth while.

Also not sure if we have a LFS that would take frags for credit. Sure would be nice!

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt I'll get that heavy into it. I suspect it will be a year or two before I have enough variety to make a dedicated setup worth while.

Also not sure if we have a LFS that would take frags for credit. Sure would be nice!

I know of three that will take frags in for trade. One does 25% of what they can sell it for, so a $20 frag you get $5. Some of the others will wheel and deal with you "I'll give you my X for your Y and Z," kinda thing..

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of three that will take frags in for trade. One does 25% of what they can sell it for, so a $20 frag you get $5. Some of the others will wheel and deal with you "I'll give you my X for your Y and Z," kinda thing..
I know Aquatic Cove used to take trade ins for credit, but I think they stopped. The only other store that I know of around here is The Aquarium Shop, and I've only been in there twice. No idea what their policy but I don't think they do much business in coral.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I am going to cut frags as corals need trimmed and give them away at club meetings to the new tank startups and those who don’t have the coral I have yet.

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take some off your hands. Just let me know a price. Will put these in my 60g cube.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take some off your hands. Just let me know a price. Will put these in my 60g cube.
I'll try to make up my mind by the end of the week on what I will do with them. For now, I want to observe and see how well or poorly they do. Currently, everything looks much better than I had expected. I thought it might take a few days for the zoas to come back after the cutting and iodine dip but they seem happy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back