Im heavily stocked, but can I add just a few more?

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!
Besides overcrowding/aggression/stress issues, what other concerns are there with an overstocked tank?
Nutrient levels? How so? I would say that my tank is pretty stocked but my phosphate is 0.08 (Hanna) and my Nitrates are 2.5 (Salifert). Does having these numbers allow me to add more fish? (Again not considering space issues)
How fast of a increase in those levels would be a concern for an overstocked tank?
I have plenty of rock in my DT, run a Reef Mat, a protein skimmer, and an DIY algae scrubber. All of my fish are doing great with seemingly plenty of room and hiding places, but I want to add just a few more fish....I like alot of life in my aquarium. Not so much that they are literally bumping into each other, but enough to give it a "wow" factor. I have plenty extra rock that I can add to the sump if needed.
So what other concerns are there?
Thanks!!

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size and current stocking list would help to give recommendations
Thanks for the reply, but I deliberately left that info out because I didn't want to get flooded with "It's already too stocked so you don't need more" as that wasn't really the point of my question. I already know it's heavily stocked.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, but I deliberately left that info out because I didn't want to get flooded with "It's already too stocked so you don't need more" as that wasn't really the point of my question. I already know it's heavily stocked.
Then you already know the answer to the question.

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why ask questions if you do not want a reply? If you think its overstocked already, maybe leave it be? Or provide info so someone can provide correct info back. :)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When your fish start to die because of the stress of being overcrowded, this will add a lot of nutrients to your system if the dead fish aren't removed quickly.

That being said (and I'm confident you understood the subtext), high nutrients* are more of a concern if you're keeping coral.

(*"high" being relative to your stated current values)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one can give you an answer without tank info or stock list… theres several here who stock on the higher side but have put things in place (skimmers and what not) to balance this out. People cant help you if you hide information about your situation…

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sir you have the right to not incrimiate yourself further LOL

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that heavy stocked is a very superficial definition.
If you have the equipment to run adequately, and live stock is compatible, well fed, healthy..why not right?
U will just have to live with larger costs and maintenance, but if you are fine with that..
Andrew sandler / polo reef it's a good example. Guy has more tangs in his tank than hawaii and they all look great.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, an overstocked tank is not "fish friendly" as it is very likely that it contributes to added stress and territorial aggression. Also , IMO, it makes everything to do with water chemistry much more temperamental with the likelihood of a major catastrophe just a matter of time. As others have stated, overstocked is subject to interpretation.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that heavy stocked is a very superficial definition.
If you have the equipment to run adequately, and live stock is compatible, well fed, healthy..why not right?
U will just have to live with larger costs and maintenance, but if you are fine with that..
Andrew sandler / polo reef it's a good example. Guy has more tangs in his tank than hawaii and they all look great.

I suppose, but thats a multi-million dollar 27,000 gallons set up, with tons of space that mimics their natural habitat way better then any non-millionaire 30-50gallon set up.

But if you have like a 200 gallon mystery tank i say one or two more fish wouldnt hurt..

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose, but thats a multi-million dollar 27,000 gallons set up, with tons of space that mimics their natural habitat way better then any non-millionaire 30-50gallon set up.

But if you have like a 200 gallon mystery tank i say one or two more fish wouldnt hurt..
It's a Reefer 525xl

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your system keeps nutrients as posted stable, it’s not overstocked IMM excluding space requirements. You are running multiple export methods so not surprised.
But, if you are adding something, as usual, let the system catch up to the additional load each time, there will be a point where nutrients are bound to rise.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back