IM Helio heater seems good so far

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the 200 Watt (Dual Element) Helio PTC Smart Heater for about a month now on a 20 gallon IM AIO and I have to say, I'm kind of impressed. Both of the elements have LEDs in the cord end so you can see when each is actually on which helped when they were deep down in the bottom of the filtration area. The controller display is simple and easy to use and comes with sticky velcro strips for mounting, and hold well. It has a cheesy retro 3D effect, but in a good way. The temperature probe also looks like it is titanium which is kind of a nice touch. I've had it set to 78 the entire time and I just now pulled out the NIST validated temp probe and it read exactly 78 in several spots in the tank. I hope the longevity lives up to the hype and I would definitely recommend these heaters.

The only thing I would change is the low temp alarm when setting up the tank. I wish they would add some logic that if the controller was just powered on, don't alarm for low temp unless a certain amount of time goes by without the heat rising a certain amount.

Last edited:

Innovative Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great News for Helio PTC Heater Owners!
All electrical components of the system will be warranted for 5 years. If you have already purchased a Helio, you will automatically be upgraded to the 5 year warranty.

We appreciate support and want you to know we support you too.

IM Team

5 YEAR Warranty.jpg

OP
OP
flourishofmediocrity

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it makes more sense to have some powerheads on battery and a backup generator if the power is going to be out more than a couple hours.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like good unit but just a little too much (cost wise)when heating a 200 gallon . Although I did buy a 200 int from my lfs (still waiting for 2 months now) and I've thought about it. They look solid

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great heater. I'm very pleased with my 200 watt dual element heater. Very stable, small foot print and comes with mag holders etc.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine! Been up and running since release. 5 year warranty is not something we often see in the hobby either!

Innovative Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like good unit but just a little too much (cost wise)when heating a 200 gallon . Although I did buy a 200 int from my lfs (still waiting for 2 months now) and I've thought about it. They look solid
Thanks for the consideration, we know that cost may be a barrier to entry. But we believe the Helio system is the safest and most precise heating system currently on the market. Hopefully the 5 year warranty can add value long term. Congrats on the new 200 int!

Oredigger77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up the 700w system for our sr-120. Our current controller could only handle 1 heater at a time and the 200W we had was already too tall for the tank and was having trouble keeping up at night. I'm pretty excited about the 5 year warranty too.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back